In-Laws and finding acceptance- venting

What is the best approach when visiting with a MIL who critizes everything about you and DH. She doesnot seem to be happy with any of our decisions and will constantly gossip with other family members about our visits.
I am starting to acknowledging the fact that we will never recieve acceptance from her. Another thing that irks me is that she likes to try to create issues with my DH regarding me, but will not speak with me about the issues. I dread doing family stuff with his side and I wish it was different.

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• YIKES so sorry you have to go through that... if it were me I would limit those visits to as few as you can GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Does your DH fall for it when she tries to pull that off? If not, don't worry about it. Just smile a lot and the event will be over soon.
    Don't give her the satisfaction of letting her see you angry. Just ignore her. It's her loss.
    Keep your visits short and try to not stray from safe topics.
    Do you get along fine with the other family members?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm sorry. I know a little something about your situation...except it's my fil. But our situation has gotten so out of control that I don't even desire for it to get better anymore. He has been a mere inch from physically attacking me twice, and once I had my daughters in my arms. That was the very last straw! We haven't been to visit my husband's family in their state for 5 years. When his parents come down here I go on a mini-vacation to a spa close to home (so I'm nearby if my children need me). Sometimes it's the only answer...to end contact. It isn't ideal, and I'm not saying that is the best for your situation...but sometimes it really is the only good solution.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm sorry you are dealing with this.
    but it seems typical. as far as her gossiping, hopefully she others know what she's like.
    my mom's like that- she gossips like heck to me about my sister, until I told my sister.

I guess just do the best you can.
    I don't care what anyone says, you didn't marry her, you married her son. She may have been in the package so to speak, but do your best to tolerate her.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• So sorry your MIL is like this, If I was you I would limit the time I spent with her and I'd talk to my hubby about how she treats me and make sure he lets her know to stop talking about you to him atleast!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 3:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011