Does anyone in Utah know how many days a landlord must notify a tenant that their rent check has bounced?

Up until this month, my DH has handled the finances in the home. He asked me to take over because I am a list person, and can keep books, where he did not. The situation is this: He gave a post dated check to our landlord last month for the day he got paid, and through a mix up, the landlord's wife went and cashed it before the post date. We were told that the check cleared, and since DH didn't keep books, thought all was fine. When next month's rent due date rolled around, we were informed that if we didn't come up with double the rent amount and late fees, we had to get out... I can't seem to find it for Utah, but the Ga law says that a landlord has ten days to let the tenants know or he can't charge bounced check fees right? I am juggling things, but just wondered what the laws are if anyone knows... Thanks!

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 3:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I do not know about Utah. But it was your check that bounced. Post dating checks is improper. You should pay your bills when they are due. You should not deliver checks that are no good. You have caused your landlord an inconvenience and an expense. Why in the world do you want to get out of what you owe.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• it was a mix up tootoobusy, give her a break
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Do you live in an apartment or are you renting a house. I think its different depending. Did you not have a lease agreement?
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Your landlord has to provide a copy of your lease. Even if you have to pay a small fee...Obtain a copy of your lease.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Dear Tootoobusy,
    Thank you for your honesty, but I don't think you read my further explanation of the situation. I did say in there that I was managing to juggle things, aka, taking care of it. I do not wish to get out of my responsibility, actually quite the opposite... as I also said, my husband up until this point managed the finances and I just trusted what he said, so I find your accusations quite unfounded and unfair. Again... the reason that we had to give him a post dated check was because he wanted the check in hand... he knew that he needed to cash it on that date because that was when the money would be there, and the post date on the check was within the period of not being late to pay the rent. His wife was the one who unwittingly cashed the check not him... My issue was not the check or the money to be paid... I am not a child and understand my responsibilities, my issue was the time period that a landlord.....
    momof2redhedz

Comment by momof2redhedz (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• a landlord is mandated to let a tenant know that their check did bounce.... please, for the sake of all on here who are asking real questions... do not answer them if you don't know, or are indeed "tootoobusy" to really read the question... thank you.
    momof2redhedz

Comment by momof2redhedz (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Dear 4xsthetrouble,
    I am renting an apartment... and my DH can no longer find our copy of the lease....
    momof2redhedz

Comment by momof2redhedz (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2011