Do you still lose weight from using a breast pump?

I was just wondering if you still lose weight from using a breast pump the same way you would lose weight from the baby feeding?

Rileysmommy22

Asked by Rileysmommy22 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you are working the same muscles, burning the same number of calories. But personally, I haven't lost one pound since having my baby and breastfeeding. She is 7 months today. Woe is me.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Theoretically, yes. Some women lose weight while nursing, and others don't though. It's the production of milk that uses the calories, not the actual act of physically nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Keep in mind that not all women lose weight from nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• yeah what gdiamante said
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i exclusively pumped for my dd and i lost all my baby weight in 6 months! but every women is different!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you are successful at pumping, yes. It's the milk production that burns calories. HOWEVER, not all women are successful at pumping (exclusively, I'm assuming?). It's HARD work and some just can't physically do it, their body doesn't respond to the pump... some just can't keep up with the labor involved in pumping AND caring for an infant.

Nursing will ALWAYS produce more milk because baby is more effective at stimulating milk production and it's just plain easier. After you get past the rough weeks in the beginning you don't have to think very much about it. This will give better results in the weight loss department (if you're one that loses weight, I am, personally... )... not to mention the obvious benefits to the baby of getting as much of your milk as possible, also many of the benefits of nursing involve direct feeding.

I know your baby is young... head over to breastfeeding moms for advice and support.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011