Puppys and worms

Someone once told me that if your puppy chases his tail it means he has worms, but the vet said he doesn't have 'em, but he does chase his tail like a maniac. Have you ever heard that?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Old wife's tail (tale)
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Some times a puppy will chase his tail if he's bored. Do you play with him and give him toys to play with and chew on. That may be the problem.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I know my dog has worms when he scoots his butt across the floor!! My 1 1/2 yo Great Dane loves to chase his tail, and he's never had worms before. Even after he catches it he still goes round and round with it!! It is soo funny to see!!
    tansy78

Answer by tansy78 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my puppy had worms - not in her poo in her tummy - she had never chased her tail ever. i even try to get her to. i only knew she had worms because she barfed up a bunch of whole worms!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Something I found online and thought it was informative/interesting:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/tail-chasing-in-dogs/page1.aspx
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Puppies should be wormed every month until they are 6 months and then every 3 months for the rest of their lives. This is what is heavily reccomended here in the UK and what we do with all of our dogs.

Chasing tail is not a sign ive heard of...but look out for him wiping his bottom on the carpet when he comes in, that's a sign of discomfort. That may not neccessarily mean worms, it could mean he's had soft stools and its not clean or any other sort of discomfort. My 6 mo old pup does this as he has an ongoing intestinal problem which we are still trying to fix :(
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Here is a natural way to worm your pup or adult dog - It will keep the worms away... I know the Vet said your pup doesn't have them now.. That's good - He will get them in the future -

So here is my SAFE wormer/ All Natural:  It's a powder from the earth

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/2010/12/Worming-meds-alternative-harsh.htm

This can be used on the fur to keep fleas away;  can be used internally ( mix into the puppy food) to keep worms - away

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's an old wives' tale. Tail chasing has nothing to do with intestinal parasites. It's just an extra thing to do for your puppy. It doesn't cause problems and is kinda cute to watch.

Just make sure you keep your dog on a dewormer all year long. Usually they are in combination with the heartworm preventative you give monthly anyway, so it makes it easy! And don't forget monthly flea prevention as they can get intestinal parasites from infected fleas too - so again, two birds with one stone!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• no thats silly surely, pups always do it, they have just found something new to play with
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2011