How often are you to breast feed your baby?

My other 2 kids told me when they were ready for a feeding but this one won't tell me she is hungary till night time. So how often are you to breast feed a baby?

Tdaycare6678

Asked by Tdaycare6678 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As newborns, they should eat at least every 3 hours during the day.

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• On demand. How old is baby? If she's not giving you cues, and is newborn, I would offer about once an hour. If older, that might change. Watch for hunger cues, maybe you can start to figure out a pattern.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• In the first few weeks, I popped a boob in their mouth every time the opened it... OK, not really. But close to it. Mine were cluster feeders. They could eat every 30 minutes for 5 hours, and then sleep for 7. Just offer the breast every hour or so, and make sure she is awake/alert.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Check here for things you might not have thought to look for as hunger cues :)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/hunger-cues.html

Hope it's helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• if you're not getting the cues yet, just try about every 3 hours. you'll learn the cues. A newborn will eat approx. every 2 to 3 hours, but please do not go past 4 or they may become dehydrated.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I always fed them when they were hungry when I was breastfeeding.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you bf on demand. how old is baby? how are diaper counts. remeber sucking on the hand, rooting and smacking lips are hunger cues
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Depends on how much the baby is eating at each sitting. If you can't monitor it via nipple, I would pump so that you can count ounces. I think I was told every two hours, but I bottle fed.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011