Are you the breadwinner?

If so, how does it make you feel? your dh? is he jealous? Do you should have more control over the money since you make more?

A_Renee

Asked by A_Renee at 3:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am a single mom so yes I am the bread winner. My boyfriend makes about the same that I do. If I get this new job I am looking at then I will be making more then him. He thinks its kinda amusing. When 2 people get together and combine their expenses and incomes then both parties should have equal say in how the money is used. That is part of being in a marriage/life relationship.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I am the breadwinner in our house and it doesn't make a bit of difference. I think sometimes it makes my husband feel a little inferior but I don't see it that way. I see it as we each have our contributions to the family. I make more money, he does more of the housework. Is one contribution less important than the other? As for control, I have always paid the bills in our house - even when I didn't make more. Its just something he doesn't want to be bothered with.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• for me im the breadwinner. this is second marriage and we keep everything as separate as possible. i pay him "rent" and he handles the morgage and all utilities. i also pay all groceries. we both pay our own car,cell, dept. ect. he does make more $ than me.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Money is important to my dh and he does feel a certain kind of way that I make more money than he does...he is very protective over the money that he gets but is very free with mine. Normally I would not have a problem with sharing the money in one big pot, but his attitude makes me feel differently.
    A_Renee

Comment by A_Renee (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Nope. though technically I can make more per hour than he does. I just don't work as much =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I guess you could say I am because I make the higher income, but it takes both of us working to enjoy the lifestyle we have now. DH is actually scheduled to get a major raise in the next few weeks, which will put his income in line with mine for the first time ever! If it's ever bothered him that he makes less than me, he's never let on. He wishes that I didn't have to work though, but we could never survive on his current income. Maybe after the raise.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Not yet, although I will be when he retires. We've discussed it and he says he wouldn't care if I did make more than him. In fact, he thinks it would be great if I did.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I was, when my husband realized how much I was making with my business he decided to become a Rep with the company I work with and now he makes more then I do.
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 2:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2011