In time of deep recession, there are people still spending irresponsibly and then blame others for bad decision making!!!

My life's mission is to help the unemployed, especially those facing debt. I currently work in default averson as part of my job description. When I talk about my work description I am still hearing about a lot of silliness of people buying high-priced items. Usually the stories are about those who have yet to experience the economic downturn,or who are protected from the deep recession by salary (which I am not speaking about just civilians either). What gets me the most is when people spend unnecessarily and then say that others are in their dire misery because of decisions that they have made. This to me is very insulting because it's victim blaming. (And, I would be doing what I do from my heart if life was that predictable.) The deep recession (depression) is going to catch up with all of us eventually.

Question- When the original question to me was about my job description, I'm usually very quick and quiet. But, I'm tired of smug and arrogant statements about the poor. How can I get legitify my work worthy to those who don't understand?

Thanks

Sincerely, A Bleeding Heart for the poor

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 4:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Just keep it short and sweet and say something like "Well yes, there are people who are in trouble because of bad decision-making, but there are also those who are in need of help because of the economic conditions which is completely out of their control. My job is to help those who need help" and leave it at that.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Don't try. No matter your job, someone will think it's not worthy. What matters is that YOU feel you're doing something worthy.

I'd like to hear more about it really. It sounds interesting. How do you help people?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 4:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Live and let live. It is a life's lesson that I have learned. Before my brain injury I worked with the developmental disabled adults. I was always enraged at just how ignorant and unkind people could be to others, especially my clients. Now that I am disabled it is amazing to me just how unimportant it is what others think. So my small advice is live and let live. Keep being who you are because you do make a difference to many. Thanks for sharing with me how special you truly are.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 4:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I suppose I agree with the PP..... trying to justify yourself and what you believe in is really only worth your time if it's someone whose opinion is truly crucial or important to you.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just do what you do and karma will pay off.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Why do you feel the need to have this job validated by others if it is so gratifying to you?

Answer by older at 4:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• People are so self centered and want what they want when they want it. When you've never been in that situation most likely it doesn't cross your mind to not spend. My DD's MIL is giving her a bedroom set that's about 6 mos old worth $20,000 total, when my DIL asked her FIL why they were getting rid of it, he said, " It's not me it's her." Do you think they think twice about how much they spent or the poor on the street? They are sooooooooo blind they can't even see how my DD and SIL are struggling w/4 kids on a teachers salary. They want what they want, when THEY want it. I just had a S/O go back to work after 22 mos of being laid off and no one cared, we could have lost our house and no one cared. Luckily we did have $ set aside or we would have lost our home, most people only care about themselve when push comes to shove. Sorry I ranted and don't think I really answered your question.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You don't need to.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just remember your one small person who really is trying to make a difference, that's what counts as far as YOU and YOUR JOB job is concerned. You should be very proud of what you do, and the feelings you have about others that don't give a rats a-- about the other suffering human race out there. Pat your self on the shoulder and keep up the good work.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• OP--

As someone who has worked with severely disabled to severely disadvantaged children and adults, (and still do as a special education teacher), I understand what you're saying, but you need to realize that others are entitled to their opinions based on their personal experiences.

Some people are willing to keep an open mind--perhaps because they have never been personally affected by the situations you are seeing, and others may have become jaded BECAUSE they have been "down and out" but turned themselves around, and get frustrated at those who choose not to. I admit to being in the latter group. I find it hard to be a "cheerleader" to those who DON'T want to improve their lives.

I'm happy that you receive a lot of satisfaction in your work--that should be all the satisfaction you need! Spend all of your energy on those you feel you can help, and don't waste your time trying to convince people otherwise.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011