should i start looking for another job now or wait?

Okay so i dnt have a stable job history& it makes it hard for me to get hired when i get interviewed, luckily i did a job, i have been working for the past 4 months,my job is okay very laid back, it doesnt pay much but its better than $0 income, now my only problem is that i am not comfortable w/the other employees, some have literally stolen from the company& others are on the job under the influence of either alcohol or drugs, the boss is aware of this but refuses to let them go, for what reason ?? Only thing i can think of is because we have many pple that come& go she cant afford to be short of staff,I so desperately want a new job but because im scared that i wont pass my interview due to my unstable job history do you guys think its a good idea to go n try to find one, my df says its better to look for a job when i already have a job but im not to sure, my friend says i should wait at least a year but just thinking about working w/the other staff litrally makes me sick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have an unstable work history myself so I understand how that can work against you when finding a new job, especially in this economy. I would say start looking for a job and don't quit this one until you get a new one. If they ask you in an interview why you are leaving, don't bad mouth the current company. In the meanwhile, I would suggest making the report. Maybe you can do so anon. It could be that no one in HR knows what's going on in your department.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• is there a manager higher up than she? Is there a hotline you can call anon. to report this?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think it is ok to look for a job while you have one. That way you can explain that you are working and want to work but your current place of employment is not the place you want to be. Then explain why, I think an employer would be impressed by you saying that you can't work somewhere where people are stealing from the company and under the influence at work.
    Anonymous

• I know the corporate office very well but because im new i really dnt know if they will know it was me who reported anything if i do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I feel so out of place where im at& i see a lot of things that i wish i could change& rules i could enforce but i know that will never happen.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• anon if you arent comfortable there and you are surrounded by this terrible work ethic I'd start looking for a new one, but dont quit till you find one (and at that interview explain you need to give your current job a 2 week notice). I think 4 months is a stable enough time period to start looking. It's long enough where you can add it to the resume if you wanted to.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You need to report the incidents to someone higher up. There is a whistle blower law that will protect your job. Keep track of incidents on a calendar that you take with you. You can also look for another job while working the one you have. There are not many jobs out there, so keep the one you have.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would definitely start a full-blown job search.

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837  

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2011