Sit-ups while Pregnant

I found out I'm pregnant last week. I haven't gone to my OB yet (the earliest I could get in is next week). I do pilates and some exercise videos on a regular basis. Is it ok to do sit-ups/ab work? I'm not obsessed with being skinny, I just want to be sure to remain active and it's super hot where I live so rather than walk outside, I do videos inside my house. Does anyone know if this is safe? I hear conflicting info. from people and books. THanks.

danielp

Asked by danielp at 12:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have heard conflicting answers as well, but I really wouldn't risk it. Some guidelines my doctor gave me include not letting your pulse get over 145 beats per minute during a work out and definitely stay hydrated. My personal trainer also told me not to engage my abs during pregnancy. Until you talk to your doctor, I wouldn't do them.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I WOULD SAY TO GO AHEAD AND STOP ALL PILATES OTHER THAN YOGA.. THOSE EXERCISES PROBABLY WOULDNT HURT ANYTHING BEING THAT IT IS SOOO SOON, BUT EVENTUALLY THEY WILL TELL YOU TO ONLY WALK AND PARTICIPATE IN LOW IMPACT EXERCISES LIKE THE ELLIPTICAL OR TREADMILL, WALKING OUTSIDE, AND YOGA FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
    Anonymous

• Sit-ups are generally fine as long as they aren't causing you any discomfort, but there are so many other exercises you could do that don't involve that area in order for you to remain active.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you are already on an exercise routine then it's fine to continue until your ob/gyn says otherwise.
    Anonymous