Inconclusive Ultrasound?

I had my ultrasound this morning and found out I was having a boy which is exciting! The less exciting news is that the ultrasound tech said my ultrasound was inconclusive. I had a doc appointment immediately following and the doctor said my ultrasound was also inconclusive and that this one seemed fine and I shouldn't spend money on another ultrasound in case that one is inconclusive as well. As I was leaving, the tech asked me if the doc had scheduled another ultrasound. I said no and she seemed concerned but didn't say anything. The appointment setters told me I could set up another ultrasound if I wanted to. This is my first pregnancy and I'm confused. What does an inconclusive ultrasound even mean?

fricky29

Asked by fricky29 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You should go do some research on the accuracy of ultrasounds. My was conclusive, but it was 100% inaccurate. Hope that helps.
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 4:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Call your doctor and ask foe an explenation on the "Inconclusive" meaning.

Answer by louise2 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with louise2. I would ask what that actually means because I have no idea. Inconclusive about what?
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i know doctors have very little time in with patiens but doc should have expalined this
    at least the nurse could have said more
    learn to ask as many question as poosible, write them down before appt, once you are in room, someone has to answer until you are done , dressed and leave, be persistant in future

this time, call the doctor office and stay on hold as long as needed until you get an answer that satisfies you

good luck
    most likely a term that sounds worst than it is

i was given next to nothing odds of having seccessful birth, and she is three and a half now
    so not to worry, just call and ask
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• First thing out of my mouth would have been "What is inconclusive?"

You as the patient have the right to know. They as the doctor are obligated to inform you since you weren't the one who went to medical school. They are the expert and you are looking to them for guidance. Don't just sit there and nod when they spout out a bunch of information that you don't understand. DONT BE A "GOOD PATIENT"! If you aren't clear on something and they are trying to rush you out the door- slow them down and make them answer you!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I found out inconclusive means they didn't find what they were looking for. Baby is healthy. Basically, the ultrasound is supposed to be done between 18 and 20 weeks because as the baby gets bigger, it's harder to see all it's parts, I guess. I'm 21 weeks and 3 days so I was a little behind on this.
    fricky29

Comment by fricky29 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• This is stupid this is their way of getting more money because they couldn't get a great view because of positioning I would not consent to another one it is not necessary
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011