Does anyone have ADD?

I'm starting to think I have it. I show a lot of the signs. I'm seeing a doctor about it Tuesday. My question is how is it handle? Do they give you pills? Does it actually work? How did your SO handle you having it?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Health

• I have ADD. I have not tried meds yet. I keep thinking about it, but I just haven't done it. I have picked up a lot of coping skills. I put post it notes on a lot of things, I use the calendar on my phone for a lot of things and I use a timer for a lot of things. I also have a very understanding husband and assistant.
    I will admit, part of my hesitancy to try meds is I am afraid of how I will feel on them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• they prescribe the medical equivalent of crack to make you concentrate for long amounts of time on small things. Works for the definition of ADD sure.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i think i do too... or i just don't like to pay attention to others lol
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have it and am not being treated because I cannot afford the cost of the meds, my insurance does not pay for it and a lot of insurance companies will not pay for ADD meds for adults because of the high potential of misuse. I have learned to live with it. I write everything down, have mulitple calendars in many areas. I struggle through college, I have to follow a schedule in order to get everything done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i DO. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. I had to do a series of 3- 2 hours testing sessions. They wanted to treat me with meds and I was on board with that.. I tried 3, all which made me SO ANGRY within 2 weeks of taking it - I am not sure what in my make-up made that happen or if it mixed weird with my Cymbalta I take but I was awful.. and decided not to retry anything until my son is in school.. he needs a happy mommy while growing up.. Although my Shrink did mention those are not common side effects at all - so now, I am a walking sticky note / feel like I can't keep anything organized or on track, can't focus or do normal things but I have been dealing with this for so many years that i have my own partial functioning ways of doing things.. its just messy is all!! good luck on the testing!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Meds are absolute rubbish in these cases, if they prescribed them don't take them. They're not safe and 'medicating' everything is not the answer. To be honest the only 'answer' to this is just to try and find ways to cope. Everyone has their challenges.
    Anonymous