how to get the people that live down stairs to stop smoking in side the house??

i have a baby, and i rent in house that is spit in too 2 and my ppl down stairs smoke a lot, and the smoke is coming in too our house and my son and been dealing with it for 5months and he sick all time cuz of it.. we are buying a house in June but i cant handle it anymore, our landlord tell them to stop but they don't.. so what can i do, should treated the landlord with rent if they don't stop. or what am so sick of hear my son coughing all time.. i need a good answers that make life easy

mortharofboys

Asked by mortharofboys at 4:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Is it in your lease that you can not smoke in the house? I would first knock on their door and politely explain to them them you're smelling a lot of smoke and your child is starting to get sick from it, so you would really like it if they could stop. If they don't stop, You probably could try to take legal action if you really wanted to. What ever you do, Don't stop paying your rent.... you'll end up screwing yourself really bad. Good luck to you and your baby. I would be flipping out if I had to smell my neighbors nasty smoke all the time!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• This is really in the landlord's court to make them stop. You need to talk to him or her again about the utter importance of maintaining a smoke-free environment for your child. If that doesn't work, you can threaten to move or see what the laws are in your area pertaining to renters rights. Or you could move.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There is nothing you can do unless their lease says they arent allowed to smoke in the house. With holding rent will just get you evicted. It isnt the landlords fault his tenants are smoking.

Answer by gemgem at 4:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would tell them you have a baby, the smoke is going through the walls and you'd appreciate if they could smoke outside or at least open some windows. Since the landlord is on your side see if there's some type of paperwork you can write up to make it more serious? I dont know if that exists though, unless the lease says "smoke free"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yep you can also invest in an air purifier. They do work.

Answer by gemgem at 4:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You can't do anything but ask. Sorry.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Agree w/ Snewo, you may have to move into another apt for a small time if it's bothering you that bad. Although I don't smoke and don't agree w/ it, it's their right and they have the right to do so in their own house. It's not illegal so if you ask and they say no, there's not much more you can do :(
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There is truly nothing you can do, I'm sorry I've kinda been there. Your only real chance is slipping a nice handwritten letter under their door with the sweetest photo of the baby possible. Say something like you try really hard to keep the baby quiet at night so they can sleep, but baby has a terrible smoke allergy is there any chance they could smoke near a window, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Get things that prevent the air wafting in. Don't open the door much. Stop up cracks with rugs.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There are lots of non smoking apartments - pretty often you will read "no pets, no smoking" - but if that isnt a part of the lease - they Can smoke there... i am sorry... what you can do is cover your air vents with wet rags... it will work like a filter.. or you could get a real furnace filter and cover the vents with that --- you could also ask the landlord to check the furnace filter because your son is always coughing it could be really dirty...if it happens to be temprate where you live - open the windows when you can... you have an end in sight...june
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011