How much should I ask for certain items at a garage sale?

I am having a garage sale this weekend, and I have never had one before - I have several decorative pictures and frames - TONS of toddler clothes - size 3T (not stained and no wear and tear) and a few books...plus some other stuff. I am wondering what I should price the clothes, and pictures and frames and stuff - My grandma says I should let the clothes go for 25 cents per item!! I disagree but was sort of wanting some feedback. Anything will be appreciated!!

ChelseySpelsey

Asked by ChelseySpelsey at 9:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• It depends on whether you want to make money, get rid of your things, or both. A lot of people will stop looking if they see prices too high. I try to find a good balance and sometimes price a little low so that I can get rid of the things AND make money. People want a good deal. They don't want to pay a lot for something that they can get new for not much more. Toddler clothes in good condition: .50 to $1 depending on what it is. If it's just a plain ole t-shirt, then maybe .50. But if it's a nice sweater or a nice pair of name brand jeans $1. Outfits you should price a little higher and make sure you have them pinned together or they'll get separated. For really nice pricture frames, I would say $1. Books I usualy sell paperback for .50 and hardbacks for $1. I end up donating almost everything I don't sell, so i always ask myself, "would I rather sell this for cheaper or get stuck with it at the end of the day?"
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You can say "Make me an offer". You may get more than what you thought.

Clothes is usually .25 to $1....other items you can get away with a bit more. It really depends on how much or how little people are will to pay. So you can alway negotiate, that is what is fun about garage sales...I can alway find a bargain and still negotiate. :) have fun and good luck.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• clothes if they are in good shape i usually pay $1 a piece. If you have some good name brands they can be higher, or put sets together for $2 or more. things like dress pants or dresses or coats could be a few dollars if they are in good shape.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 4:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• No one is ever going to get rich from having a garage sale; keep that in mind.

Also, note that most people will nickle and dime you as most pretty much want things for free. Don't set your prices so high that people will think you're nuts but not too low that people will want to negotiate even lower.

I have had many garage sales over the years and clothes are the one thing I do not sell, rather, I give them to charity.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Nov. 13, 2008