Just found out I'm pg yesterday...

So I'm 21 and a senior in college. I just had a positive test yesterday so I'm guessing I'm about 4 weeks now...my bf is also about to graduate in mid-December (I'll be done in mid-June)...I am so confused about what to do. This wasn't expected, but it wasn't a total shock either....We both planned on going to graduate/medical school. What do I do??? Anybody ever been in this situation or one similar?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I got pregnant my junior year of college. My son was born in November and just turned one last week. I am currently a full time student and will graduate in June. My parents live 3 1/2 hours away and my 'friends' are less than supportive. Although Ethan (my son) was a suprise, he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. My plans changed when i found out i was pregnant, but my life is better. Just because you have a child, your dreams of attending graduate and medical school shouldn't be effected. The location of schools you apply to may be different, but there is no reason that a baby should de-rail you from all future plans.
    If you want to talk to me more about some of the problems/issues/successes I have encountered in my last few years (of being pregnant and a mother) feel free to contact me!)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would continue with your plans if you can financially do so. Having a baby doesn't make your previous world end, it just makes it better (though a lot harder to handle). If you're able to handle it ok with your pregnancy and the finances work out ok, I would get as much school done ahead of time as possible, it's going to be a lot harder to do after baby!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I actually didn't get serious about school until I had my daughter and I still attend more than full time and hold down a job. If you are that close, don't worry about it. You will both finish before you deliver, and even if one of you has to go to work, the other can go on farther through school. A baby CONTRIBUTES to your life, it doesn't take anything away.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My husband and I are dealing with the same thing. We had our first when I was 19 and he was 20. We both were in college. We got through that and now my husband is in lawschool and we are having another! hes 23 and Im almost 22. We worked it out still finished school . Everyhting will be just fine. You will just have to figure a system that works. Be happy ! Enjoy it and never regret it. We never stopped going and we now just live life less selfishly. You will see.
    Anonymous

• well i got pregnant when i was 16 yr and still in high school, but i went through every little hard things. well i go to school and leave my baby w/ my husband & mom to watch. my husband works sometimes so he leaves it for my mom. not hard but only on school. when you know you are going to have a baby these are all the things you needed. money, jobs, medical, welfare's, and save money.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 2:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008