How do you sooth your fussy new borns/baby?

YaneLove

Asked by YaneLove at 4:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends why they're fussy.. if it's a tummyache, rocking back and forth and rubbing back or tummy softly. restless, rocking or pacing thru the bedroom, singing softly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• swaddle in blankie
    and hold hold hold
    walk around house to soft music
    soft patting on behide when carrying around house
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• if you've covered all the basis of why your baby could be fussy like hungry, wet cold, tired. try white noise like a static radio station, car ride, rocking, music, fan.. good luck,. my son had colic so i know it can take its toll
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I hear that noises like dryiers, blow dryiers, vaccums, things with that kind of noise soothes them because it reminds them of being in the womb.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• oh fiatpax has another good one, swaddling. most (not all) newborns loved to be swaddled tightly. it makes them feel warm and secure.
    tnm786

• It depends on the baby. I had to nurse mine about every hour when she was a newborn. She also liked to be swaddled and she was soothed by the sound of the shower running.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I start with making sure its not because he is hungry or wet, and then i try some tummy time. If that doesnt work i will try to swaddle and rock and if thats a no go. We have skin to skin time. That has always worked for us so far. I just go in the bedroom tuen the lights down and put some soft music and get comfy. Then i place him on my chest. The skin to skin thing really does seem to work for us. And its great for bonding
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Put him in the blanket like they did at the hospital, burrito style and tight, they feel secure and warm this way, remember they were tight for space inside you for 9 months.

Answer by older at 5:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son liked to be held while walking around, or rocked in our recliner. If he had a tummy ache, I would rock him while rubbing his lower back enough to try to get things movin in there for him. My bff's daughter was super colicy and that is what they told her to do, so I just did it even though my son wasn't colicy. It worked great. As for gas, I think that would work as well.

Sometimes, one parent is a better soother than the other, for whatever reason. I was the better soother, so I was always the one that had to pace with him. Sometimes, just the sound of my voice was what he needed.

Every baby is different. It is trial and error. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• if rocking and cuddling do not work i do a tight swaddle and run the vaccume
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2011