Are your pets necessities or luxuries?

No, in my case, pets are decidedly not luxuries — not any more than anything else we might consider "essential" to our quality of life can be said to be a luxury. After all, we humans need no more than food, water, clothing and shelter to survive.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/pets/2011-01-13-vetviews13_ST_N.htm

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Pets are needed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• pets are fur-kids! pets are FAMILY!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Having a pet is a responsibility plain and simple! Having a domesticated companion animal is not a necessity or a luxury, rather it is a privilege if you ask me.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't feel like the family is 'complete' unless there is some sort of animal present. When we've been between pets, I have definitely felt that something is missing in my life. So in that sense, they are a necessity. However, I also think it's my responsibility to care for them for life, including costs like supplies and vet bills, so in that sense they are a luxury and I would never take on a pet that I coudn't afford to give proper care to.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• For some people, such as "working" dogs they are necessities. But as Jademom07 said if it is for your family pet then it is a luxury meaning that you should only have one if you can afford to take care of it and you and your family. I love animals and have a dog and 3 cats (and I would have more if my hubby would let me) but I can afford to take care of them and take care of us. People sometimes get pets and don't realize how expensive they can be not only feeding them but the vet bills.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• luxuries in most cases
    and in my case our dog is just a needy pain in the butt who can't stay out from under my feet!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• While I do consider my fur babies part of the family I also don't see them as a neccesity for us to survive. Even working dogs are not a necessity, but rather something that does make the lives of the handicapped easier. The only necessities in live are food, water, and shelter.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• They are not a necessity for our family but we sure like them. The only things I consider a necessity are food, water, shelter and my family.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 6:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Depends on your family. To be a responsible pet owner can be costly. Vet bills, license, food, etc. Any fool can get a pet and then just hope for the best, but if you do it correctly, then it is an expense....so, to some it may be a luxury becase of the money involved.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My husband is a K-9 handler with the police. His dog lives with us and is a "pet" when they are off duty, so in our case, the dog is a necessity.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011