Do you think lie detectors or polygraphs really work & are accurate?

I'm kind of back in forth on it. I want to say yes but Ive heard so many stories on people getting tested such as groups of people that had really nothing to do with said crimes or what not & even police officers.....& it turned out they failed but everyone knows that it is not true. IDK it just got me to thinking.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 5:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Technology

• I have heard that they are somewhere around 90% accurate. That is why they are not admissible as evidence in court; there is a fairly wide margin of error. However, they can be a handy tool for police to see if they're on the right track in an investigation. If someone they suspect also fails a polygraph, they might continue to investigate that person. Or they can use it to help eliminate suspects, but again, it's not actual evidence, just more of a guideline.
    Except on the Maury show--they're evidence there, baby!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No I don't believe they work. If they did and were accurate wouldn't you think the police would use them more often?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, they're not. Your heart rate can rise for any reason. My friend used one for fun and they asked her things that could be proved to be true (what her name was, what her children's names were) and it came up wrong.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, I don't!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011