Tummy Time

when should baby begin getting tummy time?

YaneLove

Asked by YaneLove at 5:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• asap..... certainly by 3mos or so. The earlier u start trying the better they will take to it. Some babies just hate it like crazy!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree with hibbingmom I waited until my daughter was 3 mos and she hates it! she cries and it breaks my heart but I know she has to do it to get strong! so all you can do is try to make it less scary make it fun by putting some of her favorite toys or blankets down for her and you lay there too to show her she is not in it alone.
    newchapternlife

Answer by newchapternlife at 5:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You should start tummy time when the baby is able to lift her head. This is most likely around 2 months old, but could be earlier depending on your child's physical development.
    Branwen70

Answer by Branwen70 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Neither of my children did it ever and they were both crawling around 6-8 months and walking around 12-13 months. It is typically recommended from a month old though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• As soon as the baby can hold his/her head up was when I was told to start, but my son SCREAMED his head off every time I did it so I just gave up and he was perfectly fine. I think, sometimes, all these things are just riff raff. Our parents weren't told about "tummy time" when we were little and we all turned out fine. Don't stress too much, your baby will be smart and develop fine no matter how much tummy time he/she gets. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I started at the hospital! :-) They did tummy time on the bed (with me sitting right there of course). They both enjoyed it but fussed when they were trying to figure out how to start moving. BUT the above people might be right about waiting until they can lift their head. Both of mine could lift their heads from birth so I never had to think about that factor. I like tummy time because it gives them a different view of things and with mine it really did encourage them to get moving (that and the cats). But some babies hate it and develop just fine without all the tummy time. :-) If you really want your baby to do tummy time even though s/he doesn't like it I would just have him/her do tummy time for 5 minutes or less whenever you think about it during the day.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 12:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2011