Bizlij death: the 8 year old boy who lost control of the gun and shot himself. Is anyone really to blame in this situation?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12197254

An 8 year old boy was with his father and older 11 year old brother at an open gun shooting event in Massachusets. The 8 year old was using a Uzi gun, which apparently is tough for even adults to handle properly. The gun requires a lot of strength or else it could shoot upward or even continue to go up and then backward, aiming at the person holding the gun, which was the tragic scenario in this case. The boy was just not strong enough to fire this gun.

Prosecutors at first wanted to blame Fleury, the organizer of the event, who was not even present that day. They say since he organized this event, it's his fault. Fleury was cleared of involuntary manslaughter charges today.

Bizlij's father was the one who signed off giving him permission to fire the gun. His father and a gun expert were both present at the shooting, standing closeby. In the state of Mass., it's legal for a child to shoot a gun with parental consent (or so the article states).

So in your opinion given this info, was it Fleury who is at fault of the tragic 8 year old's death? Or his father for giving him permission to fire a gun that requires adult strength for proper use? Or nobody's fault at all, and just an unseen tragedy that was out of everyone's hands?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally I think the father is to blame. What person in his right mind lets an 8 year old handle and shoot an automatic weapon?

You're right, he'll pay the price the rest of his life for his complete lapse in judgement. But, he blames Mr. Fleury, so I don't think he's really accepted his own responsibility. He took his sons to this gun show, he gave permission for them to fire the gun.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I have no problem with children firing a gun at a range (with parent's consent and gun care and handling class of course), however, he should not have even been holding an Uzi, much less firing one. I would hold the dad responsible for his lack of judgement.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• erm too much for an 8 yr old
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well if Fleury wasn't even at the event how did he claim that an 8 year old handling/firing it would be safe? Something is fishy there for me. Personally I don't care what another person says my 8 year old is NOT firing a gun I have not fired myself first to see how strong it is. Bad decision on the father's part, but he feels quilty enough already he doesn't need a bunch of people on the internet making him feel worse I am sure.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• THE FATHER IS TO BLAME-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• WHAT THE HELL IS A KID FIRING GUNS FOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

there is NO REASON ON EARTH that anyone anywhere needs to have a gun!
    the point of an uzi is what exactly?

in my opinion they are both to blame- they should ahve known the kid couldn't handle the gun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Some of my kids fire guns..but some guns are just too powerful for a small child ..hell I don't think I could handle an Uzi
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• it's really sad, i don't think anyone is criminally at fault, it sounds like a terrible accident. i do wish the father would have used better judgement, it's unfortunate that this was where his judegement failed him and he lost a son bc of it. i think knowing this will be enough punishment for the rest of his life. it's not like he shot his child, he failed him as a parent to spoil him imo.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• In most countries , the father and Mr Fleury would be prosecuted for this . Crazy to give guns to an 8 year old and let him use them .

As for the Uzi, it is not for hunting, it is a military weapon meant to kill people .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i agree jeremysmom, but prosecutors argue Dr. Bizlij trusted Fleury's claim that the handling/firing of the gun would be safe.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011