What do you think we can do to prevent teenage pregnancy?

Segregation?
Never letting them out?
Stopping telling them it's okay with contraception in schools?

Do you think parenting is ever to blame? Keeping a closer eye on them? Or do you think teenagers have always been like this and always will be - it was just more covered up in the past?

I was a teenage parent and I can honestly say that although I would never blame my parents, they were my decisions, if they'd had rules I'd have stuck by them. However they didn't and I'm happy about how my life turned out. However I can see it could have been prevented.

I don't know what I'm going to do as my girls start to get older, I think I'll preach abstinence completely and try to not let them out of my sight, but I understand they need their freedom! Let's hope the close relationships we have now continue!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 5:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I was going to say BC available around puberty. Parents need to stop saying, "Well my child will never do that" or "My child will tell me when they are sexually active" "My child has morals so they wont have sex till they are married".
    It's those parents that their teens get pregnant becuase the parents are blind.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Mandatory anatomy class and reporductive cycle class in pre-teen years. More thourough teachings about how conception occurs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would try to be as involved in their life as I can, make sure they have future hopes and dreams that they wont want to screw up, help them have respect for themselves and preach safety if they are going to do it. I will enforce rules and open my home to be the hang out place so I can keep a better eye out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• that is such a hard question. I really dont know what the 'right' answer would be. I think not having teen mom shows on tv would help. I mean, isnt that kind of promoting teen pregnancy?
    I think abstinence is a great thing to talk about and promote! talking talking talking. keeping connected to your kids may help too.
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Jademom07 - We have that in our schools in the UK which I guess is a good thing!
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• In my home I plan on showing info about STD's and explaining that when you aren't in a long term commited relationship you don't know what might be hidden. I plan on letting them know that pregnancy without money and a partner is horrible and NOT awesome like on MTV. U wont get a tv show you'll get a ruined life.

I think teens have too much time on their hands. they need jobs, church, morals, discipline, structure, expectations, goals, career/college/future planning and lots of semi-supervised afterschool activities like dance, sports, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Put contraception in their cereal.

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Well we cant stop them from having sex, my mother was very strict& i still had sex at a very young age, i was 15,Luckily i didnt get pregnant, the only thing i can think of is to put them on birth control,something you know they cant miss ,like getting them on the depo shot, or the implanon,im still trying to convince df to put his 15 yr old dd on the shot, he says no because its giving her permission to have sex, but like i tell him, she might be having it already & we just dnt know it. its better to be 10steps ahead of them
    Anonymous

• My mom talked about sex with me and told me i could always come to her when i feel im "ready". She made sure i felt comfortable with the idea of talking to her. As much as they did to try and instill abstinence, i still had sex and did a lot of bad things in high school. I don't think the parents are always to blame, atleast not in my case. they did nothing wrong with raising me, i was just not strong enough to push peer pressure away.

im not sure what the magical answer is to teen pregnancy prevention. i think it depends on each family and each individual teen. i have 3 daughters myself, and honestly im a little nervous about the teen years! i plan to talk to them about abstinence, but teens are going to do what they want to do.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Start by making them be kids longer and not letting an 8 year old dress like a grown up! my neice is 8 and thinks she's no longer a kid. Most likely I will be here in about 5 years telling you how she's pregnant. She has the attitude of someone 16 and is in 2nd grade!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011