Throw it out or keep it?

My dd (6 yrs old) came home from school today with a bunch of extra food in her backpack. Her school has a backpack program where students that need help with food will bring home an extra backpack full of food. Well, I emailed dd's teacher to find out if they knew where the food was coming from as we are not part of that program. The teacher emails me back saying she has no idea what is going on. DD tells me that it came from a girl on her bus who is older and goes to one of the *bigger* schools (meaning the elementary school instead of Primary). She went on to tell me that this girl just grabs her backpack and throws the food in. It looks like it may be leftovers from their lunch, but today, there was way more than what would be in their lunch, at least I would imagine.

There was a can of tuna, one package of applesauce, one snack pudding, one package of oreos, a juice box, an orange, a granola bar, a package of instant oatmeal and a package of hot chocolate. Along with this was an extra hat that dd does not need.

My concern is the fact that it came from a student that dd's teacher does not know and that it did not come from the school itself. While I know the chances are, there is nothing wrong with the food, I am contemplating throwing it out just to be on the safe side. We do not know this child or the parents or why the child is giving away food. So dd's teacher is going to inform the office at the school and try to find out who the child is that is doing this and to find out why.

My question is would you keep it or throw it out just to be on the safe side?

trinsmom04

Asked by trinsmom04 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Like you said it's probebly fine but its weird...I probebly wouldnt eat it, if i didnt just throw it out i wourld maybe give it to a charity to give to someone who could use it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 5:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• We ended up throwing it out. Dh and I both thought it was a bit weird, so we thought it would be best to not chance it and throw it out. We hate to have to throw out food if it is perfectly good, but the whole situation seems a bit too weird. I also talked with dd tonight, explaining to her that the only people that need to get into her backpack besides us is her teacher, that no other kids should be getting into her backpack. Hopefully we can find out what is going on.
    trinsmom04

Comment by trinsmom04 (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would take it back to the school. That older child could have stolen the food from someone that really needed it. I would not have thrown it out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• While I can see your point about that possibility, I cannot afford to waste the gas to bring the food back to the school, especially when I do not know where it came from. And my dd could barely lift her backpack as it was. The school has been made aware of the issue and we are working on finding out who this child is that is doing it and why. Once we figure it out, I am sure the school will contact the parents of that child to find out what is going on. There is not much I can do, but now that the school has been informed, if it happens again, I will be contacting the school again and asking that they take the food back and that they speak to the parents of that child to try to get it to stop. However, dh and I agreed that we want to speak to the bus driver and ask that our dd sit with kids her own age (this child is at least 9 years old whereas dd is 6) and with one who does not get into her backpack.
    trinsmom04

Comment by trinsmom04 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• That child also put a winter hat in dd's backpack, which will be returned, but to the bus driver since this kid goes to the intermediate school. This way, we can also inform the bus driver of what is going on.
    trinsmom04

Comment by trinsmom04 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would have thrown it out as well. The school is going to have the same problem, if you return it...not knowing for certain where it came from, if it was tampered with, etc...

It sounds like you are on top of it. You have alerted the school, the bus and you have addressed your daughter about who handles her back pack. It is possible that it is a child who is stashing it in your child's backpack not wishing to be discovered as being on the food program. Hard to say, but I think you have covered all the bases.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2011