My son cries when I drop him off at preschool.

For the last 2 weeks my son has thrown a fit when I drop him off at preschool. He has been there since Sept. and threw a fit for the first 3 weeks and then got used to it. Here recently it has started again. I know he likes it. He talks about his teacher and the other kids as much as a 2yr old can and cries when we pick him up b/c he doesn't want to leave. My friend said it could be seperation anxiety. Any ideas?

nurbabe82

Asked by nurbabe82 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you talked to the teacher? I'll bet she tells you he's fine after a few minutes. It's perfectly normal, especially if pre-school is the first time someone else is caring for them. Don't make a big deal about it and it should get better.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes, I agree with jms124
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My little one does this too!! She has been going there since she was 6 weeks old and she'll be 2 on the 24th. I think its a phase they go through. Maybe try to get him distracted when you leave to see if that changes anything. I would talk to his teacher and see if he's fine when you leave. Probably the second you are out the door he gets involved in activities and forgets all about you leaving! I know how you feel though! It is absolutely heart breaking to leave them when they're screaming.
    lilwecky

Answer by lilwecky at 11:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It is all a show for sure. I have been in child care for 11 years and see it all the time but I have a new take on it. It is a sign of a problem with transitioning, it certainly shouldn't be acknowledged as such but looked at in a different way like how do we fix this. With the little boy I watch I started doing something or having something ready for him to do when he comes in whether it's playdough or something we will do later, to distract. Mom stays for 10 minutes and sort of chats and makes him comfortable. She warns him she'll be leaving soon and then we wave good bye at
    the waving window. In the evening Dad calls when he is coming so I can make him aware that the day is almost ending. It's worked great thus far. Just a few adjustments and the transitions go super smooth. Make it an exciting time of day for your child, it'll get better. Good luck.
    maddismama

Answer by maddismama at 9:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008