Travel Plans to Cuba, anyone?

A senior Obama official told The Miami Herald the much-expected move to expand cultural, religious and educational travel to Cuba is part of the administration's continuing ``effort to support the Cuban people's desire to freely determine their own future.

President Barack Obama is also restoring the amount of money ($2,000) that can be sent to nonfamily members to the level they were at during part of the Clinton and Bush administrations. There will be a quarterly limit on the amount that any American can send: $500 per quarter to ``support private economic activity.''

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Miami, the new chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, assailed the revision, saying they ``will not help foster a pro-democracy environment in Cuba.

``These changes will not aid in ushering in respect for human rights,'' Ros-Lehtinen said. ``And they certainly will not help the Cuban people free themselves from the tyranny that engulfs them. These changes undermine U.S. foreign policy and security objectives and will bring economic benefits to the Cuban regime.''

~~~
Do you agree with this action by the Obama Administration?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No thank you. Obama can keep my ticket and stay down there.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Im good here in the states. If I leave to another country to visit itll be somewhere like Italy or France

Answer by gemgem at 5:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

I concur.... Personally, I prefer Italy over France...  Tokyo is nice, too..  Cuba?  Hells NO!

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just open the borders - get over this stupid "punishing Cuba" thing!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have been to Cuba for a vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it , the country and the people . I would like to go again . I caanot understand why the cosy love affair between the US and China while policy to Cuba remain hostile . The Chinese regime is infinitely more brutal and more dangerous . China is a country I would not want to visit.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, I don't agree with Obama on this at all. I have to side with Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen; this is not going to benefit the Cuban people. In the long run it will only serve to support their Communist government!
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 6:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• TBNT....Thanks, But No Thanks! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011