What are the steps I need to take to open a home day care?

I am 26yrs. old, expecting my first baby in 5 weeks. Researchers have proved that the most important years in a child's development are from Birth to Age 6 and I would like to take part in the developmental process of my child as much as I can. I also have a great passion to work with children and help them to find their own purpose and passion in life and help them to achieve their dreams. I would like to fulfill this dream by opening my own Day Care, preferably for low income parents being that I am one myself and I know how difficult it is to find a reasonable day care program when you don't have money. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get started are appreciated!!!

TinyTiff23

Asked by TinyTiff23 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to check with your state laws. They will tell you what their regulations are for opening a child care. Good luck!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• call the local daycare and ask what they charge, you wont make it (more than likely) unless you charge about half. be prepared to give tours, and answer lots of questions. having an outdoor play area is a good idea and look into the laws about how many children you can watch and for how long in a day. flyers are cheap and easy way to promote your business, word of mouth is the best!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• What state are in you in? Go to the state sponsored website for what to do to get licensed. I live in GA and thinking about doing this myself. The rules have changed a lot in this past year. For instance, now you have to have a degree in Early Childhood Education to start up.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If you check the rules on how to get your license, it will tell you all the steps and rules as well as the classes you have to take. I was going to do the same thing, but you have to be careful because you have to track your taxes yourself. Also, in this economy, you have to be real careful because people are losing their jobs left and right, which means you will have clients coming and going, especially in the low income bracket. I decided I couldn't trust the instability of it all with my son depending on me (I am an over planner to the point that it is ANNOYING). I plan to try to open one once the economy gets back on track though because I feel the same way you do.

Either way, I would check on how to get your license and they will tell you everything you need to get together and plan for. Best of luck to you and your family! :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Your in the same boat with me. I have a degree in Early childhood education. We were taught about daycares but not home daycares. I keep two children and I am about to get a third one So I want to know if I need to be licensed to keep only 4 to 5 kids and how do i pay the taxes on what I make
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• get a license, become CPR certified, buy cameras because kids lie a lot.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• http://www.daycare.com/states.html

Click on your state to find out the requirements, rules, and regulations about in home daycares.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Contact your local child care resource and referral agency and ask them for help getting started.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2011