Rewriting Tom Sawyer's book

What do you think of them taking the N word out of HUCK FINN? They replaced it with the word slave so that they would allow it in some schools.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 6:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's wrong to censor/rewrite this book on so many levels
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think it's outrageous. It's like pretending no one used the N word and the cultural effect it's had on our history. This is art, and should not be changed, this is a classic. Books should NOT be censored.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• do you mean Mark Twain's book?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No. I don't think it is a good idea. We are living in 1984 just a few years late. How do they expect kids to learn anything if it is so watered down. We don't teach subjects in school. We teach self-esteem. Self-esteem is something you develop from success. I can't teach it to you. How will scrubbing Huck Finn help anything as long as rap lyrics, black movies, and BET use the 'n' word with freedom and ease? How will it change anything as long as I hear it up and down the halls of my middle school? It isn't the book. It really isn't the word. It is who said the word. Black - ok. Any other race - not ok. It is a double standard that is absolutely confusing and frustration.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It's blatant censorship and should NOT be tolerated!

Leave the classics alone! Stop trying to make every fucking thing PC!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I posted this in another question, I meant to put it here.
    If we are going to become a Nation that is PC, first of all ...good luck with that. Second is, we are not able to stop at banning the "N" word. I surely understand that people take offense to that word but, the fact is, people take offense to all kinds of words. So I believe in the interest of this so called "Political Correctness" and to insure the sensitivities of our Citizens, we need to ban a few more words and subjects.

Lets start with the subject of weight, that is a very sensitive thing to some people. If you or someone you know grew up overweight you know how hurtful and offensive words like: fatty, pig, tubby, pudgy, cow, thunderthighs, to name a few, can be. I move we ban all words and subject matter to do with being overweight.

For the Irish people and people who deal daily with the ravishing, devastating affects of alcoholism we should CONT.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• ban all references to alcohol and drunkenness, especially as it pertains to the stereotypes of people of Irish decent.

For the preservation of the feelings of our Polish friends, we need to ban all words related to "Polock" and all manner of stereotyped jokes and subject matter on them!

Then there are blonds, short people, Indians, Mexicans, Jews, Catholics, The French, aged people. There are the Chinese, Hillbillies, geeks, the disabled, Foureyes, all manner of sex words. Yup, there are a whole world of offensive words and subjects that this Politically Correct shit encompasses!

As for humor, is a tool for learning, just look at one of the greatest Comedians of all time, Richard Pryor. He used extreme racist humor and he used it to teach Blacks and Whites about each other as did Carroll O'Connor! And the world is a better place because of them and their humor! CONT.
    goodwitch399

• Humor is first of all to make us laugh but, it is secondly and, most importantly, to make us look into ourselves and make us think!! When subjects and words are banned we lose part of that opportunity and all we have left...is to laugh!

When we ban words and subjects, we stifle, retard, and pervert the growth of understanding and knowledge needed to get past the prejudices, stereotypes and misconceptions we have for each other. We shut down our thoughts, we shut down our feelings and we throw all the racism and hostility into the closet and keep it hidden in the dark! Then we let it grow and fester there in it's ignorance and stupidity.
    goodwitch399

• Censorship is a subtle, pervasive and contagious evil wherever it appears.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If there is no choice (which I don't believe) I guess I'd prefer that over the stupid idea of having kids just read part of it, making them believe it's a dumb short story.

but I don't agree with it at all. The N word was used, and that's all there is too it.

heck, around here it gets thrown around like crazy by the teenagers- they use it as a compliment!
    ItsMe89