What is the best advice on Parenting Alone can you (current parents) give me??

I am expecting a baby boy in 5 weeks and though I have support from family/friends, (at least in the beginning) I will be raising my son alone. I am extremely excited to become a Mother; however I know that raising a baby is not all fun and games and that at times it can bring on some difficult challenges. For those that have already been there, what is the best advice that you can give me for going through the parenting process alone? Tiffany

TinyTiff23

Asked by TinyTiff23 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go with your gut! This is your baby raise him/her in the best way for you!
    Anonymous

• I'm not a single mom, but I'd say, don't be afraid to accept help and ask for help. Good luck :)
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Like pp said, don't be afraid to ask for help. You still need time to be yourself, not just a mother. Also, don't try to be supermom, let things slide at times. Prioritize what you need to get done and do your best to be organized. Good luck mama, being a single parent is hard, but you can do it!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Trust your motherly instincts as much as you can and enjoy the moments with your baby. It's easy to get caught up in the sleepless nights of every couple of hour feedings, diaper changes and all. And remember there is always someone out there that has already been through it all especially all the "Moms'" in this forum which will try to help guide you if you run into a snag.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Pick your battles
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just try to be calm & don't sweat the small stuff (who cares if the laundry gets behind). Sleep if you can while the baby sleeps. Try to enjoy EVERY moment because it goes Soooo fast. Have your Pediatricians phone # on memory on your phone. They usually have a nurse available to answer even silly questions & don't hesitate to call if you are unsure. Make a daily routine & stick to it & the baby & you will be happier & he will sleep better for naps. When you feed the baby burp OFTEN to prevent spit up. If the baby is fussy from gas, buy "Mylicon gas drops" from the drug store. Change him when he soils his diaper to prevent rash. Buy Desitin or Balmex for the heiney to prevent rash. Don't use powder at all. Moisturize him daily in dry weather & put on baby suntan lotion if he is going to be in the sun. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins for a few months after he is born to boost yourself up. Congratulations! Cont:
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Cont: I also would make everyone that is going to hold him wash their hands first. Keep antibacterial on hand too & don't let anyone in the house with a cold for a while & offer burp cloths for their shoulders. That may sound phobic but why should you have to deal with a sick infant unnecessarily. Best wishes!!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• have fun. your are in the driver seat. just relax and do not be afraid to ask for help. its the best rollercoaster ever. enjoy every single second.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Do what YOU feel is right for your child. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for your decisions, even if they are not the recommended things of parenting. Pick your battles, let them be kids, have fun. Hug them often, tell them that you love them, be open and honest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I raised my dd for the first year alone. My best advise is to not try to be both mother and father to the baby. You can't be AND it's not your job to be. Be the best mother you can be and don't be to hard on yourself when things are not perfect, you are doing a 2 person job by yourself. Give all the love you can and your child will be fine. Good luck
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011