Do you favor your gadget (IPhone, Blackberry, laptop, computer) over your kids?

Excerpt from article by Meredith Melnick:

Much of your research focuses on the reaction of children and young teenagers to technology. What are the potential effects of technology on the social learning of young people?

After dinner, let's say your parents pull out their BlackBerrys, or during dinner, people have their BlackBerrys next to their plates, which was the situation for so many of the kids I interviewed. Or, while your mother is reading you Harry Potter, she has her iPhone on the bedside table in case an important call comes in. You're learning that taking that half-hour to be in a little bubble with your child — with everything that entails — is not really important. So I think these kids are learning that they never really get what they call "full attention." And full attention becomes this [unattainable] jewel in the crown.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2041714,00.html#ixzz1B3QmIhzz

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• No..I always have my Droid X on my person, but I put my Son first.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No... I spend all day on the computer @ work so I am rarely on it @ home. I only use my cell phone when I am out and about so NO I don't favor a gadget over my kids at all.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 6:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• no,but I know someone who does

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• LOL... sometimes I do favor my Ipad too especially when they are not minding me.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• That sounds sad when people can't put aside all those tech items. I don't own a blackberry I just own a computer some of the games on the social networks web site could get addictive and I stopped playing them because I saw it kept me away from my husband and my daughter and for me I decided that they are more important.
    Nancygray2

Answer by Nancygray2 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't favor my computer over my son. I'm usually on the computer when he's in school & a few hours on the weekend. But no i don't favor the computer over my son.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, I don't think so, a lot of times they are doing things that don't involve me (playing together) so that is when I am on, but if they want to play or anything I stop. The internet is not going anywhere. I do have a phone near me, but it is the landline, just in case it rings I am not running all over to find it. But my kids are first.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2011