What would you do?

When letting your kids go over to their classmates house just to play outside do you go meet the parents or just send them over only for a hour. Or WHEN do you meet their parents?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At this age I would go and meet them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If your kids are young I think it would be wise to get acquainted with the parent who is supervising at the house before allowing my kids to spend any time there.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Good question sometimes people do just open the door and let their kids run free! Yes I do think that you should meet the parents a few times before you can feel confortable letting your child play over there for 30mins because a lot could happen in 30 min. And if it is bad it stays in the mind of a child for a lifetime!
    Nancygray2

Answer by Nancygray2 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would meet the parent and to be honest it would be hard for me to leave my child with someone. Growing up I Went to very few kids house's other than my cousins'. It is hard to trust people you never know
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• A girl my dd is friends with comes over. I have not met her mom, only her dad. I won't let my dd go over because the friend's 12 yo brother was not very nice to my kids and I worried about that. Her mom has no problem letting her daughter coming over I guess. I just need to meet the mom but since the boy was calling down my kids I don't want to let them out of my sight.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I usually know them from pickup and dropoff, it it's brand new, I insist on meeting the parents the first time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i would meet the whole immediate family in that particular household first. parents, your child's friend,brothers,sisters etc. don't want my kids around any kind of bad company nor bad influences. my daughter says i'm too "over protective. Just wait until she gets a boyfriend!! lol
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 8:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I actually don't know most of my kids' friends parents. My kids play all over the place and I don't follow them around. I did finally meet the dad of my son's new best friend. They have been playing together since the beginning of September and I finally met him on Halloween. He's a nice guy and took my son (9) and middle dd (8) with him when they went trick or treating because my 4yo was lagging behind and I stayed with her. I don't even know where all of them live. My son's one friend lives on the other side of the park in the trailer park and I have no idea which trailer he lives in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My children won't play at any house where I do not know the family. My 9 year old goes to houses where I know the families, without me. I go with my 6 year old. Some friends are allowed to come over to my house, but not vice versa based on the household or the parents.

You have to supervise your children and know where they are going at all times. There is so much that goes on behind closed doors that would make your hair stand on end...and it really doesn't make a difference which neighborhood we are talking about, upscale or not.

Because of my job I do go into a lot of homes, and over the years I have seen and heard things that you wouldn't believe. It is not just the parents who you need to worry about, but often older siblings as well. It only takes one mistake to ruin or change your child's life and future. Once a certain line is crossed, it is so hard to reverse that. So, extreme care must be taken with this.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2011