Is bedwetting at six almost seven normal?

Ive brought it up to the ped.and they just seem to say it is normal...why dont i think it is.her twin is dry for years.should I look into a differant doc?

kelkel08

Asked by kelkel08 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It never hurts to get a second oppinion. I do not think it is normal if it is very often, but if it only happens once in a great while it might be ok. This must be very frustrating for you.. I do think the best thing would be to get a second opinion. :)
    Anonymous

• If it is happening 3 or more out of 7 nights it is NOT normal. Get a second opinion, and you can also severly limit the liquids your child drinks 3 hours before bed to avoid bed wetting. I hope your Dr checked your child for a bladder infection or a UTI, as these can also cause a child to wet the bed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It can be normal, but I would check with the Dr. here's a group for more support

http://www.cafemom.com/group/89389
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 10:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my brother used to wet the bed and they said to my mother that he is just so active during the day, he sleeps so deeply in the night. they also said not to give him drinks before bed and make him go before he hits the sack. good luck.
    AmFam5

Answer by AmFam5 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my oldest son occasionally wet the bed until about 7 and even once this year at 10. I have spoken to his Dr and he doesnt see a problem but said if its an every night occurance there is medicine he can take.
    rose0608

Answer by rose0608 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It's pretty normal. I have 2 bedwetters. My son is 7 and just stopped wearing pull ups over the summer (he turned 7 in October). He still wets the bed once or twice a week.
    My middle daughter just turned 6 last weekend and wears pull-ups every single night and usually soaks it.
    Their doctor says it's normal and they won't worry until they are 8. Both are heavy sleepers and impossible to wake up at night so they don't even feel when they have to go.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• playing tennis girlmy son is about to turn 7 next month and he still wears pull ups too. As mentioned in previous comments, some kids who sleep very hard may not know what their doing while sleeping. I agree with the mom's who have said don't give them anything to drink for a few hours prior to bed time and recently I heard wake your child up before you go to bed and have them use the bathroom . . . tough I know but worth a shot. Good luck, and know that you're not alone - many of us are in the same boat.

Lorizkids

Answer by Lorizkids at 1:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have 6 children children and most of them were bedwetters. My pediatrician said he knows many teenagers that are still bedwetting. Its extremely frustrating and the thing they say works the best is one of those alarms that wake them as they wet. You have to be a real part of that though.
    It's also quite hereditary. Just keep chilled about it and ont make the child feel abnormal.
    noncraftsmom

Answer by noncraftsmom at 1:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have a six year old boy who still wets the bed. His doctor said it was normal. and explained to me that he is probably just a hard sleeper ,and so to save his mattress and sheets he wears a pull up every night. He has a five year old brother who has been dry through the night since he was three-three and a half. i know its frustrating but i think its something that wil eventually get better
    LINDSEY2B

Answer by LINDSEY2B at 3:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My son was the same. I took him to the childrens hospital both in england and here. He tried everything and nothing worked. He is 12 now and been dry for about a year. Sometimes thats what it takes. They have to grow out of it. We put him in pull ups for years. It was insane and then my Gran said you are just giving him an excuse to pee in it. I never thought about it like that before. I then didn't let him where them anymore. We used a potty pager and that seemed to work and helped him lots. I have a brand new one here if anyone is interested in it. We also used to call his pulls ups SP's. Special Pants... that way it was our code in front of people especially when he had sleep overs. It will stop eventually.
    Britmum72

Answer by Britmum72 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2008