Soy milk?

My DD has been on Soy formula since about 2 days old. She is now 11 months old and I am wanting to start weaning her off the formula and on to regular milk. Anyone else have children who have to drink soy? Just wondering if i should try whole milk or just keep her on soy? I would like to get her on whole milk cause it is cheaper but not sure how her stomach will react to it.

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd wait until a year, also. Try a cup of cow's milk a day, and see how she tolerates it. Wean her from the formula to the milk slowly, so she can get used to it. A few symptoms of lasts I tolerance can include diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating, excessive mucus, crankiness, sleep disturbances, etc, so be sure to watch for any weird symptoms or changes. Many people lack the enzyme, lactase, and don't always outgrow their lactose intolerance, so keep an eye on her for a bit once you try reintroducing it. Otherwise, organic soy milk is a good way to go. You can find it in bulk at Costco, or at a local restaurant supply place, like Cash and Carry. Much cheaper! That's what we do, because we do use soy milk. Be sure to go organic, because the pesticides used for soybeans are nasty.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You should wait until she's 12 months of age to start weaning.

You can totally keep her on soy, but depending WHY she's on soy in the first place... Is she lactose intolerant? Did the doctor say she needs to stay on soy?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• you fnd out how her stomach reacts by giving her the whole milk she may only just get diareah that goes away eventually, see how she reacts and if your not happy with the results swich it to soy after all it is the health of your baby that is important, they usually don't drink as much mild as they did when they were babies so just give her about 3oz at a time. I prefer the SILK ALMOND milk it has more vitamins that cows milk doesn't have.
    Nancygray2

Answer by Nancygray2 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• They said when she was born that she should grow out of it that she just had a sensitivity to cows milk.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Comment by L0vingMy3Girls (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• That can happen, but I'd only switch according to what the pediatrician says now. I'd really wait until her 1 year c/u and speak with the pedi then.

And if you're going to buy soy, please make sure it's organic. You don't want your child consuming products of genetically altered soy beans. Look up Monsanto for more information.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The only way to know is to try, but wait until she's a year old. A lot of children don't outgrow milk allergies and sensitivities for several years. And, of course, some don't ever outgrow them. You could also try rice milk or almond milk (if you aren't worried about nut allergies) or goat's milk.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 7:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011