Family reunions. Need help or input..or something!

My DH is from CA. (We live in Wyoming) So all of his family is there. His moms side is having a reunion the ned of March. his dads side is having a reunion the end of June. We had already been plannigna vacation to Texas for the end of April/begining of May.
We DO NOT have the money to do all 3 trips. (We could swing 2 trips, but not all 3) I want to go to Texas, my best friend is hter going to school, & I havent seen her in over a year. He doesnt really want to go the reunions, we go to CA every year for vacation & its always super stressful. (We end up driving all over the place & never getting to do what we want)
But we dont want to piss off his family if we dont go....................opinions?

MelaniesMama

Asked by MelaniesMama at 6:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Travel

• this is exactly why we have never traveled out of state for holidays and such. We have for visits occasionally, but since we in general don't do it, no one expects us to.

I say take your vacation, and do whatever you need to do to deal with the family.
    I usually say just tell the truth, but I know how family stuff can be.

have fun and good luck
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• go to texas.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Vacations are about having fun and with family (dh, you and your kids). I think I would make one trip.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Welcome to my world....his side should do one reunion, not two. Anyway, honestly, tell them you're going to Texas, it's what was planned and you go to Cali often. Tell them it's not in the budget to do all three and this year you're doing what's been planned.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Keep your plans and let them know you won't be able to come as money is tight and leave it at that.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 6:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Go to Texas and have fun. Then if you still can go to one of his family reunions. It will most likely the same people will be at both reunions.
    Good luck.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Go to Texas and skip the family reunions, just let both famillies know that you don't have the funds to attend.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• for once, just do what you two want to do and just explain that you have already made plans and will do everything in your power to catch up with the family "online" and will post pic's of your vacation to tx.
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2011