Do you drink if you're out to dinner and have your kids with you?

genagina

Asked by genagina at 6:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not typically. On the rare occasion I do, I have one glass of wine or beer with food, and we do not drive afterwards for at least an hour or two.

I don't want to glamorize drinking to my children, at the same time, I don't want it to seem forbidden and intriguing. By making it seem commonplace, and perhaps even BORING, I think they'll grow up to be less inclined to be curious about it.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No more than one drink, and usually before dinner, so my body has time to process it before we leave. No gallon margaritas! Maybe a glass of red wine. But it's very rare that I drink in general, let alone with my son there.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• no
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I have before, not every time.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yep
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i dont drink unless im home. i let my hubby have drinks when we are out with the kids. but i like being sober
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My gosh yes. Try living in Europe, they drink at every meal. It's not a taboo there...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Wow, thanks for the vote down. What did I do to piss you off?

I don't drink often in front of my kids (we're talking one, MAYBE two times A YEAR).
    I don't drive afterwards. (I NEVER drink and drive, regardless of whether my kids are with me or not.)
    I don't make a fuss about it either way. If I order a SINGLE glass of wine or a SINGLE beer, I do it with as much emphasis as if I'd ordered ice tea or water.

My kids are 12 and 11. They've smelled alcohol and asked how it tasted. I was honest (beer is bitter, wine is somewhat sour, anything stronger burns) and they tend to shrug and move on. It's not a "big deal" to them.... neither is tobacco and drugs. They've admitted their peers have been busted with stuff like sneaking beers and to them, it's stupid and they have no interest in it.

So really, how am I doing wrong with my kids? Should I teetotal until I'm dead because *gasp* I have children???
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Not usually. I'm not a big drinker anyway but I don't like drinking around the kids. NOT because I don't want them to see. I don't like drinking around them because they seem so much more annoying after I've had a few, lol. And I can't enjoy my drink with them asking for a taste every 2 seconds even after I've explained they can't have any because it has alcohol (probably why they seem so annoying).
    I can't remember the last time I had something alcoholic when we were out to eat. The kids are always with us or I'm pregnant, lol. I think I had a frozen Margarita with dinner for our 9th anniversary (2 years ago). I was a bit tipsy for the movie afterwards, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Sometimes but only if my husband is with me to drive home. I generally don't just because it is cheaper to drink at home.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011