How can I get my 6 year old not to get upset about me or her father having to wash her hair?

Madison loves to get a bath. She will play in there untill tehe water is freezing!! But every other day we wash her hair, and when she knows it is one of her hair washing days she refuses to get in the tub. We literally have to pull her clothes off her when she normally takes them off her self and puts thyem in the hamper. We dont get it, last year she was so easy to bathe. We dont get why all of a sudden she has changed her bathing habits!!!??

MissTrace80

Asked by MissTrace80 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask her why it bothers her so. Can she do it herself? Maybe pick out a shampoo and rinse that she likes? My niece's girls, 5&7, do their own hair with their mom nearby..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I loved having my hair wash as a child. My mom would lay me on the kitchen counter next to the sink and I would get to lay there while she washed my hair. Maybe your children is afraid of getting water in her ears or eyes.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• teach her how to do it herself.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• She is six years old and her father bathes her?? She should be able to bathe herself as well as wash her own hair.
    Anonymous

• neither of my kids like to have their hair washed, they dont like the water over their head...I bought a shower head that is detachable with a long hose so I can bring it down to them in the tub...it is much easier...I just have them tilt their heads back and cover their ears so the water doesnt go in and they dont mind anymore. its worth a try...maybe even let her use it herself after you show her how.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Talk with her about what is all f a sudden scaring her. Tell her what a big grl she is and that se doesnt need to have you do it. You can be near by pop in and out keep the door to the bathroom open. Go to the store let her pick out some special shampoo for her hair. Praise her when she does it and tell her how pretty she made herself and she did a much better job.
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I also think it might be time for her to wash herself, mine were 5-6 when they could shower "alone" (I turn on the water, and the first couple of times(maybe 5) I was there to guide them in how to wash) They are 7 &10 now and wash totally on their own.

Since she is throwing a tantrum on a reg. basis, it sounds like a dicipline problem, though. Try taking toys/tv-time/priviliges or something else away when she disobeys. Or if you believe more in possitive re-enforcement you could talk to her about acting different/better and being rewarded when she does.

And as for anon. comment; I don't see anything wrong with her dad being there during bathtime - he's her dad!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your input. I now have a lot of ideas to try. I know she will get used to it eventually. Its just like potty training...you just gotta keep at it!!!!

And thank you to NYNNE, there is nothing wrong with madisons father giving her a bath. It is her father. And to all you nay sayers...her dad only sets the shower up for her, makes sure she gets in ok, and stands outside the open bathroom door while she cleans herself. I am the one who bathes her when it is hair washing day!!!

Thanks!
    MissTrace80

Comment by MissTrace80 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Do you know what about getting her hair washed bothers her? My son hated the water in the face so before we washed his hair, he would put on his swim goggles with the nose cover on them and that way he wouldn't get any soap or water in his eyes, which was his main problem. We only had to do this for a while & he started being able to wash his own hair at about 7. BUT, my BF still helps her daughter wash her hair sometimes because it is really long & difficult to handle.

Also, I'm w/ Nynne - there is nothing wrong w/ her father giving her a bath!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• pt 1 I have dealt with this fear as a babysitter and these methods always work. Kids have never cry when I wash their hair in fact many kids have asked me to come back and babysit just so they can play again with my bath puppets and make animal ears! So here we go….
    First buy or make some bath puppets. Puppets make a great distraction and kids would rather have the puppets washing and rinsing their hair and the mirror will be exciting. Buy some new kids shampoo and try it out on yourself to make sure it truly does not burn the eyes. Practice making some interesting animal ears with your hair assuming you have some. Not seeing the familiar (evil) shampoo bottle could help actually along with doing something interesting with it. Then buy a unbreakable mirror so your child can admire their animal ears you will make for them. Once you have gathered all of your gear spend some time talking with your child.
    moodymoose77

Answer by moodymoose77 at 4:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2011