What is the penalty for desertion in the military how much time do they get? What are the consquences? adult content

I heard you can get death for leaving during a time of war, although this hasnt been done since the 40's. Please any actaul help... please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I googled it and I found this, hope it helps http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm85.htm
    Hope99

Answer by Hope99 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• That is a fact you can but like you said it hasn't been done since the 40s.

Now a days you just get court marshaled and spend a year or more in military prison.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I know someone who was in this situation (unfortunately). He went to prison for about six months, then got a dishonorable discharge that was upgraded to a general discharge almost a year later. He lost his benefits but has a pretty good job now so for 1 1/2 year life sucked, now not so much.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 8:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Also a dishonorable discharge from the military
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I believe it is Article 87 of the UCMJ.... You will need to talk to a lawyer.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• lets put it this way, the minimum sentence you will get if you wear a military jacket and aren't in the military (like your friend who's in the army is wearing his jacket and lets you wear it cause you're cold) is 12 years in prison. 12 years for that so i think desertion is a bit more severe. once you sign that paper you are legally the governments property
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My friend is military and he said you can get dishonorable discharged court marshalled a huge amount of time in the federal penitentiary and when you get out you'll never be able to get a job anywhere and you lose all your benefits that you would have gotten so pretty much you lose everything
    lonemom1987

Answer by lonemom1987 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011