the nerve of people!

I had to get rid of our 2 dogs. one was the family pet, and the other was a stray that i took home one day planning to rehome (found her on the side of the road). due to a move, and the owners of our house not allowing pets, we had to find a new home for our cocker spaniel and the stray dog. i found what i thought was a good family. bogey, the cocker spaniel, was adopted from someone who had found him,..he was very obviously abused, and very skiddish around us at first...and after about a week or so warmed up to our 2 year old dd and became very protective of her. anyway, due to the move, we couldn't take him with us, and i was/am (still) heartbroken about it. being that he was abused, i really wanted him to go to a good family, and i found them through craigslist (after talking and meeting them, i felt good about them..so don't bash..they were looking for a cocker spaniel)..and with the background, i was very hesitant, and checked and still check craigslist. i know i can't do anything about it, but there was an ad for him on craigslist from the same people that adopted him. they was nothing wrong with him, i was the one that got him housebroken, he never barked (it was always funny to hear him bark, since it happened so rarely), he didn't require a lot of attention (he slept all day)..i mean, he was such a good dog. he went to them in mid november..and had i have known that this was going to happen, i would have tried to get family to take him rather than him going to complete strangers. how can i not feel so guilty for leaving and sending him to complete strangers?..and it's not like he wasn't getting attention, i was told that the wife didn't work, and the husband was looking for some companionship during the day for her.....THIS WAS THE DOG FOR THAT!

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 7:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• so what happened exactly? they posted on craigs list to give him away?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Awww...that's so sad! I'm sorry for you. I know how hard that must be! I'm mad at those people for you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• yeah, they put an ad on craigslist to get rid of him. i was so worried that this would happen...and of course it did. i get that things happen/change, but after having them barely 2 months, they're already trying to get rid of them.
    mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• im sorry that really sucks..if anything maybe they shouldve called u and said listen my wife is alleric or something and we cant keep him i just wanted to let u know we will find him a good home. least thats what i would try and do.. *hugs to u*
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• So go get your dog back...and in the future, don't dump your responsibility on other people and expect them to take care of them for you.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I can't get my dog back...of you weren't so set on being such a bitch, you would have read the post accurately...I DID NOT WANT TO DUMP HIM ON SOMEONE ELSE..I HAD TO FIND HIM A NEW HOME, THEY DON'T ACCEPT PETS WHERE WE MOVED TO. I WASN'T EXPECTING ANYTHING BUT A GOOD FAMILY FOR HIM TO GO TO.
    mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• That is too bad.

Are they selling the dog on Craig's list, and did these owners pay anything to you? In other words, do you think money could be the motivation?

If money is not the motivation, could you contact them and find out what can be done to help this dog. Even if you are not in a situation to care for him, perhaps you can give them some help and advice over the phone/email that could make it work for them. Or, perhaps you can just help to make some arrangements to find a better place for him, since this family did not work out.

My suggestion is to contact a breed rescue group and see if they might have room for this guy. If the family wants money for him, then give them the money and take him to the breed rescue. So, it might cost you, but at least you could sleep knowing he was in caring and capable hands. A breed rescue has a sincere interest in the breed, and will take good care finding a good home.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my heart goes out to you. I have had to rehome two of our dogs at different times in our lives...and my heart still breaks even though one is with my aunt and the other is with a family that is so awesome, i still talk to her all the time....i got lucky. I know you are probably so torn up about this, you tried to make sure he went to a good home, and it turned out to be that they were not honest with you....you cannot blame yourself for someone elses dishonesty....the only thing i can think of is maybe ask if a pet deposit might sway your new land lord...or if you have a friend that would adopt him....so very sorry...my prayers to your furry friend that this all works out okay
    diannaratcliff

Answer by diannaratcliff at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i am sad for you
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• theyre called "flippers" they get free or low rehoming fee animals and turn around and sell them for a profit. has their ad been flagged for removal a number of times? it means people have called on the rehoming fee and it was over 100 bucks and people on cl consider that selling. it sux, i know. i had to give away my chihuahuah b/c she tried to eat my dd when we brought her home from the hospital! lol. i found a wonderful woman to take her that night. well, i had been emailing with her back and forth about a month b/c i knew it would probably turn out that way. but anyways, all you can do is live and learn. sorry that happened.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2011