if one of your kids gets the chicken pox, do you try to make all your kids get it?

my sister got them when she was little (I'm a bit older)
mom would fix a tray with treats, and send me in with it, telling me it was because I was such a big girl, and that it was so responsible of me to help take care of my sister!

She'd have me play games with her, all to try and make my sister 'feel better'

bull Sh*t.
I realize now why she in about 10 days she kept checking my face as if she was looking for something, not letting me go places because I was 'sick'

Didn't work! I got them about 3 years later from a kid I didn't even know.

anyone else try and get their kids to catch things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• 'Pox parties' used to be really popular before vaccinations became more available. When my mom was a kid, they used to have 'measles parties' whenever a little girl in the neighbourhood had the measles- the idea was that because measles can cause birth defects if a pregnant women gets infected, it was safer in the long run if all the neighbourhod girls caught it and gained immunity before childbearing age.

I don't think I would go out of my way to try to infect my other kids, but I wouldn't quarantine the sick one completely either. It is better to get chicken pox earlier... I didn't catch it until my early teens (despite being exposed several times before that) and I was SO sick... I even had sores down my throat, on my gums, and in other very unpleasant places... not fun at all!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No, but I'm a fan of vaccinations. It's not a guarantee that you'll get the disease this way, but regardless, vaccinations are generally safer than the risks associated with the diseases they prevent. (I know, can of worms, but I actually have studied this.)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If I knew a kid with them, I'd expose my kids. I agree with vaccines, but not that one, and they are supposed to have either had the chicken pox or the vax to go to school.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 7:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• well my daughter got the varicella vaccine so she *should't* be able to get them and my son got them from my younger sisters when he was little. I think my aunt brought my cousins over to play when my brother and I had them when we were younger just to get them out of the way...we were all elementary school aged.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No I get my kids vaccinated. So the only thing they get is colds and occasionally pnuemonia. As a kid I got chicken pox from my brother but my mom didn't intentionally try to get me infected
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 7:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I got chickenpox in middle school from the kids in school and both of my younger brothers got them soon after. I do not think my mom did it on purpose at all b/c I remember how miserable she was taking care of all 3 of us.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I thought my son was vacinated, turns out he didn't have the first vax for chicken pox, only the second.....so he did get chicken pox. My daughter was 11 months old at the time and already had her first vax and did not get it, but then she has an immune system like her father's....amazingly strong.

No I wouldn't purposely try to have my child get chicken pox when another had it.....that's why I vaccinate
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• i have never ever had them, but have been exposed. I try as I might to get my kids around other kids that have them so they can get them "naturally" that is one vaccine they will never get on my watch
    kt2babies

Answer by kt2babies at 7:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think your mom had good intentions, the reason I have heard that is better for kids to get the chicken pox while they are still young is because it could be very dangerous to get them as an or teen . I was vaccinated and still got chicken pox at 6 and my brother was 8 months he got them too :( but I know for sure my mom did not wanted for him to be sick because he was still too young she did not let me go near him for any reason and he still got chicken pox. I wouldn't get my dd sick intentionally, is very dangerous
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My parents would do the same to me and my brother when we were little (30 yrs. ago) and sometimes even send us to a neighbors home w/ a sick child or they would come to us if we were the sick ones...., but when my youngest brother was born (I was 13) that practice had changed, and kids would get vaccinated against most things.

I think there are pros. and cons. to both, I don't like to try to make kids sick on purpose, but on the other hand I also know if they DON"T get the illnesses when they're little, it can be dangerous for them, to get it, as teenager or older.
    So you could vaccinate, but that is not natural and your putting cemicals into a healthy child..............either way it's a drag IMO. We chose to vaccinate, hoping it is less stressful for the body than acctually getting sick...
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:59 PM on Jan. 14, 2011