scared of moving to new town

any idea's on how to help the teens not be so scared and nervous?

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it would be exciting. It will be a new start for them and you. Tell them that it will only be new for a short while.....they'll do great and make new friends...broaden their horizons. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It is such a tough age to move. Get them involved in town and school activities as soon as possible. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• just reassure them they will do great in their new school..maybe research an activity they like in the new town and bring it up.. Just comfort them and listen to their fears about moving..

I moved all the time..3 highschools..so its hard..and the best thing was jus my mom listenin to me good luck!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 7:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I'm preparing to move at the end of this month, it will be the second "big" move (different state) we've had. I treat it as an adventure with the kids. My oldest (13) is equipped with Facebook, a laptop & webcam (Skype) so he can stay in contact with his friends here. I've researched the new town, schools, and told them all about how different it's going to be, and what a great opportunity this is for all of us. They are genuinely excited about moving, and are looking forward to making new friends and having new experiences. They know they can talk to me, they know I'm in their corner, I think that's most of the battle - just making sure that they know they are safe and loved. Best of luck to you!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• We moved the summer before my sons freshman year and it was tough. He wasn't mr. popular where we used to live so he didn't leave many friends behind. Even my daughter who was going into 3rd grade had a tough time. They will adjust, but give it time and be patient with them and don't ask them constantly if they made any new friends yet. Get them involved in house hunting decisions. Don't forget about yourself too. It's even harder too make friends as adults especially if your kids are already teens. I think its so much easier to make friends when kids are preschool age through play groups and such. We have a newcomers club here but it's mostly for moms with little kids. Best of luck with your move.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2011