Should politicians be able to carry guns on the house floor?

What if members of Congress packed heat on the House floor? Well, if Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) gets his way, we may find out. Gohmert told reporters Wednesday that in the wake of the Arizona shooting, he's crafting legislation to permit members to carry guns on the floor of the House.

Thoughts?

Forward or backwards?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Can I?
    No?
    Then that's my answer.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 7:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I can't wait to see what happens when the catfight starts as the legislation to allow congress to carry meets the legislation to prevent anyone from carrying within 1000 feet of congress.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Absolutely not, I don't feel guns belong on the house floor. It would be a step backwards.
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My first thought is, why is there even a need for this? Aren't there special security for them in DC?

I guess the rest would depend on gun laws in DC, whether representatives could obtain a firearm (i.e.- be approved after a background check) and if they paid the fees for such permits.  Otherwise, I don't know that it really matters much to me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It's their 2nd amendment right, so why not. You can openly carry on the capital campus here. Legislators can carry concealed weapons in house and senate chambers. We have never had a shoot-out.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Oh, I don't know what the laws of DC are. I really didn't know they had a handgun ban. In that case they should stay within the laws of the city then. I'm in a pretty gun friendly area lol
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• WHY?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Um tough one....

I want to say yes for their own protection but yet it does get tasty on the floors... Don't want ol' shot out i the house.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Imagine if someone shoots a gun in a room with hundreds of people in it. Chaos will ensue that there'll be folks getting trampled!
    So,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I was in eighth grade the only time I was in the capital building but I imagine security there is rather tight. I think it's a bit of an overkill. Are they going to cover eachother while they vote? When he's out and about I see it as okay but on the house building I think is unneccessary.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011