What was the most creative (non abusive) punishment you have given/or received/or heard about?

A friend of mine's son was getting in small trouble with the law and hanging out with a bad crowd. The last straw was he was brought home by the police for breaking curfew. He said if you want to end up in jail I will treat you like you are there already.....

Took the door off of his room, put his mattress on the floor and took everything else out, he had timed showers, could only eat with the family for meals and when meals were over he went right back into his room... I can't think of all that went on, but after awhile the Joey realised if that was jail, he did not want to end up there.

Now he is a senior in high school with plans to go to Indiana University next year.

I don't think it was abusive at all, a little tough love.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• My husband wants our children to go outside with scissors and cut the grass as punishment. Or a toothbrush and scrub the entire kitchen floor clean.
    Personally I think those are a little to screwed up.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• if any of my siblings would get in fights my mom would sit us on the couch and tell us to hold hands untill we get along... when your young that is an aweful punishment.. but it work and we are all very close.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I friend of mines mom would take her and her siblings together when they fought... then gave them a long list of chores to complete while they were taped together. Eventually they would have to stop fighting and work together to get the chores done.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Mine is "Mom's Dirty Word Rule" if you say something on my dirty word list....you scrub something dirty, such as a toilet, floor, etc. I figure I either have very polite kids, or a very clean house...win/win for me!!

The dirty word doesn't have to be the four letter kind, at the top of my list is "I hate you", also calling your sibling ugly, stupid, butthead....you get the idea!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My friend has her daughter do "community service". She finds friends that need things done around the house for free as punishment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my brother makes his 6 year old dd clean the base boards and kitchen cabinets when she's bad lol she hates it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My parents took our doors off the hinges when we were bad. They put them in the barn.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• There was a lady here who drove her son to school and sat behind him in his classes all day as punishment. She wore pajamas and bunny slippers and was sure to point out who she was to anyone who passed. This was a kid in high school.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what the kid did; I heard about it on the radio.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2011