Should elected officials stand up to special interest groups?

Example:(NEWS CENTER) -- While attending a meeting for business leaders in Sanford, Governor Paul LePage spoke out about why he would not attend Martin Luther King ceremonies on the upcoming holiday.

LePage has declined invitations from the (NAACP). The organization has already expressed its displeasure with the governor's plans to not attend the events.

"They are a special interest. End of story...and I'm not going to be held hostage by special interests. And if they want, they can look at my family picture. My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they'd like about it," said LePage.

LePage has an adopted son who is from Jamaica.

When a reporter from another television station asked LePage if his non-participation is more than one instance, and rather a pattern, he replied, "Tell 'em to kiss my butt. If they want to play the race card, come to dinner and my son will talk to them."

Dan Demeritt, LePage's Director of Communications, says the governor has personal commitments on Sunday and he is attending the funeral of a state trooper on Monday.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• HA! I knew what this post was about when I saw your title

The RNC was run by a man that was a member of that same "special interest group" for the last two years
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The RNC was run by a man that was a member of that same "special interest group" for the last two years

So, what's your point?  Do you critique the party affiliation or the individual politician?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Should they? I suppose if it suits them. They don't give up their constitutional rights just because they are elected into an office.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Do you critique the entire NAACP or specific members?

I do make judgements based on leadership of a group...

Honestly, what this guy is saying isn't much noteworthy..what is the point?

Do republicans reject all special interest groups? And if so, do they reject the NRA?

Has this guy rebuffed the NRA? Or any other SI so publicly?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• A politican taking a stand (even against special interest), in this day and age~ is a good thing... Even if they made poor choices in the past. Let's say in his previous career~he engaged in Special Interest activities, IMO~ It's never too late to come clean and say no more special interest...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Ps

I see nothing wrong with his stance...

Or special about it
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I don't know what the big deal is about this whole story. Is he obligated to go? Sounds like there is a funeral and he wants to pay his respects. Does this make him a bad guy?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Let's see him take a stand against the NRA...

Then I'll be impressed
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Do republicans reject all special interest groups

I don't know... I don't care what a PARTY does.... I'm not looking for the RNC to solve the problems... I'm looking for individual politicians to rise up against the political 'norm'... I, personally as a voter might engage in the NRA... But honestly, I don't want politicians influenced by the NRA, the NEA, anyone of them... I want them doing what the PEOPLE want...

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• sweet: I do make judgements based on leadership of a group...

So, how did/does Pelosi rate in your judgement of the group?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011