Favorite teacher?

Do you have a favorite teacher that you remember who was special for some reason in your past--or present? And why?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 9:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, b/c she always seemed genuine and not fake. And she truly cared about us. She showed us our emotions and let us show her ours.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I do. Mr. Buzzard. He was my Geometry teacher my Junior year in high school. I was HORRIBLE in the class. I am taking not over 20% on tests. He pushed me like no one has ever pushed me, he saw that I couldn't understand Geometry but I tried, he pushed and encouraged me. He gave me a C in the class because I TRIED, I never complained and I came to class everyday. I learned more from him about myself than any other teacher. He recently passed away and it made me sad. He wasn't the nicest or coolest teacher but he was my favorite.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• First grade teacher had an impact...okay, her HUSBAND had an impact. He was a photographer...maybe still is, but I was so fascinated with the photography when I was that young...and so I was wrapped up in her life and got to know her more than just as a teacher because of it. The rest of my teacher's had a mild impact in my life too, but I still think back to first grade and my passion for photography that continues today.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 9:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• my 1st grade teacher....because I had spent most of 1st grade in the hospital with JRA and she would have the class make me cards and she would come hang them in my hospital room then after I got out of the hospital she would come over every night and tutor me to help me get caught up and when I did really good she would give me a 3 musketeers candy bar
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My Creative Writing teacher, Mr. Meyers. He was the BEST!!! He made class fun, exciting and entertaining by telling stories of his family and growing up in Illinois, and when an assignment was due, he knew that everyone did their best and if you needed help or just someone to talk to, he was always there! He's retired now, but is known locally as the Starved Rock Storyteller. My DH and I take our son to hear him tell stories and relive our high school days.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• MY 5th grade teacher stands out the most for me. Because of her I didn't miss the last month of school due to my asthma (which occurred every year since K through 12th grade) because she allowed me to bring my nebulizer to school so that I could sit n class and do my treatments. The principal wouldn't allow me to use it in the nurses office "because it scared the other children" which was complete bull. She also taught me that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes. I was really poor growing up, and when my brother was in pre-school, I was in 3rd grade. His teacher took a special interest in ME, because I took care of him at school (I even spent my lunches in his classroom). During the school week when my mom couldn't get there until 4 to pick me up (school ended at 3 and there were no buses), we would sit in her classroom and she would help me with my homework. Then she started taking me to do things on the weekends. She took me to museums, to Friendly's for ice cream, and even paid and took me to a movie (the movie was something I would get extra credit for in my class). The next year, my youngest brother was in her class as well, and she continued doing the same thing. And even when I had no baby brothers left for her to teach, she still did the same thing when I was in 5th grade.

She fostered in me a love of learning and a desire to be an amazing teacher just like her one day.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 10:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• YES!!! Mrs. Mims, my 4th grade teacher...she made learning fun with all her cooperative learning projects!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My gym teacher Mrs. Hogan. She was just always so nice to all the students and made the gym class fun, not boring and like you have to do this or that. I always looked forward to going to her class and seeing her on top of that, one of the few names I do remember.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Yes. My high school american history teacher, Mr. butler. Coolest man ever! He was a 60 year old die hard surfer and volleyball man, and the most chill person.
    When i had him for first period, he would let me sneak into school late and climb in the window to class, if i had been out surfing. Haha. He always marked me as being present, and would wait to take attendance until after first period. The only thing he would say was "so how were the waves surfer chick?" haha. And he also taught the history of rock and roll, so after school, a bunch of us would hang out in his class room and listen to wonderful oldies!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011