I just fed my dogs and they act as if I did not feed them at all...

I feed our 89 pound dogs each a 5 oz. can plus 1 1/2 cups dry dog food for lunch and the same for dinner each. And they had 2 milk bone snacks today each. So according to the vet I broke their diet anyways. How could they just keep wanting more?
They are wondering around the house and keep opening the pantry door where they knew their snacks to be last. Is this normal for a dog to act this way?
And I took them for a 25 minute walk today. So I have not neglected them.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 9:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Yeah I can understand, that would worry me also. My cat had kittens, once they started eating catfood they went nuts. Just like you said, they were never full, always acted starving. Once I got them to the vet and got their first shots and things I found out about worms. Not saying thats what it is of course, just saying you aren't alone.
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Maybe worms? The only time I've seen an animal act like that is when they have worms. Or maybe there is just something they want or need and aren't getting it in their normal food. I also read about some dogs who will eat nonstop though. I'd call a vet.
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I will take them back to the vet and discuss it with her then, because it is really starting to worry me.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• We feed them Science Diet.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• worms possibly
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 7:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Part of the problem could be that the diet itself is a poor diet and they are burning through those calories quickly. But it could also be that they just like to eat. I have three dogs. One of them would starve herself rather then eat to much kibble, she is just picky. My boys though are more like vacuums and will never turn down the chance to eat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There are a few things that can be going on with your dogs:
    1) You mentioned a diet. If your dogs are on a weight loss diet, the food they are on may be too calorically dense. Typically dogs that need to lose weight need to eat a food that is less nutrient dense so they fill up easier. If you are just feeding to meet caloric needs, they may not get enough with a food that is calorically dense. Also, overweight dogs don't always respond to the "stop eating" switch making controlling their intake harder.
    2) Dogs forage. It is normal behavior and doesn't necessarily mean that they are hungry, just exhibiting normal behavior. If they are causing problems, introduce other forms of entertainment to keep them occupied. Training sessions, mental stimulation toys, fetch, and more interaction with you.

To maintain their current wt, they should be getting roughly 1800 Cal. for their size. PM me with any ?s - I'm a Pet Nutr. Consultant
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• It's either worms, or their dogfood is lacking nutrients. Read the ingredients, corn or anyother flour shouldn't be the first ingredient.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• At the bottom- Doggie Meatloaf recipes: Sounds like you are feeding enough - The problem may be quality of food -- I am sure you think you are giving a good brand....

I would also add some Canned Green beans to the program . This can be an afternoon snack - make sure you rinse them and then serve with a dash of olive oil or salmon oil - also a pinch of garlic powder - Each dog can have 1/4 to 3/4 can per day per dog.. Empty calories.... good for them.

Here is a site that has a great doggie meat loaf recipe - you can add this to the dry food - as a topper - Not every day but every other? If you want to cook for your pets:

Doggie Meat Loaf Recipe

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/2011/1/doggie-meatloaf-recipe.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• working for Hills Science diet for a year, I did learn that the foods that list the grains and byproducts do not fill them up for long. If the food states meat/fish as the first ingredient, this will clean them full longer which means they require less food.
    bnnsweet

Answer by bnnsweet at 9:39 AM on Jan. 15, 2011