How to let the babysitter know we're moving our son to a preschool...

The lady that keeps our children (ages 4 & 11 months) has been watching our oldest since he was 1. She knows that at some point we're switching DS to a regular preschool so he can get used to being in a more structured environment before he starts kindergarten in 2012. Originally we had planned to do the switch at the start of the next school year. Her youngest child is a few months older than our son, and they're best buddies. He'll start K5 this August, but our son has to wait until next year due to this birthday being so late.

Anyway, we found a really good preschool near our house, and they have openings now. DH & I want to go ahead and move him, but I don't know how to break the news to her. I've never been very good at the difficult conversations. lol She also will continue keeping our daughter, and will actually start having her full time instead of the 3-4 days a week she has her now (I can work from home 1-2 days a week and I typically keep her at home with me, but it's getting very difficult to work and chase after an 11 month old).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just be honest tell her its a great opportunity for your little man! I care for kids in my home and all I ask is for each parent to be honest with me even if it cuts in on my salary from them! I know its not a easy convo I have learned since I started care that honest is the best policy and don't beat around the bush! Best of luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would just tell her. Get her a card and let her know how much you've appreciated her but it's time for preschool.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• If her son is starting school soon she will understand. I would just be honest and up front and let her know you found a school with openings and need to strike while the iron is hot to insure he has a spot.

Answer by gemgem at 10:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just tell her. What else can you do?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Thank you jdbrown. I consider myself an extremely loyal person, and I know that it will be a cut to her income, even though she'll make some of it up when my daughter is going 5 days.

I
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Just tell her... She knows its coming and she will still see yall.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I agree.. just be honest with her
    yvonne518

Answer by yvonne518 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011