4 y/o

My daughter just turned 4 a few days ago. What kinds of things can your 4 y/o do?
Can they write their name?
Do they know all the letters and numbers?
Can they draw shapes?
Can they dress themselves?
Do they know all their colors??

i think she falls behind in some things and I'm not worried, I know it will come but I was just curious as to where she compares.

genagina

Asked by genagina at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son could do all that before age 4. However, I did home preschool with him since the age of 2 and have degree's in child development and education, so it came natural to me to do this with him. And he thhought preschool was fun, so he picked it up well. Most kids can do all this by 5, and learn it basically during the 4 year. Don't worry, your dd will do it all, and then some. All kids have areas of strenghts and weakness' that change frequently too. as long as your working with her, and she's enjoying the learning, it will all come.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• my daughter is three and a half in a week
    she can not do any of these things
    she is still in diapers
    just started to say her name 2 months ago
    she is in autism spectrum
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son is 4 and can say his alphabet, count to 13, he knows all his colors and shapes and can dress himself. He knows his full name and birthday but can't write or anything, nor can he read numbers or letters (I am hoping he will catch on soon), I work with him, he just doesn't care....
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Mine's not 4 year but are our 2007 babies seriously turning 4? Time flies!!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My son will be 5 at the end of this month so he's about a year ahead of your daughter in age but this time last year he knew his shapes, colors, could sing the ABC's do most of the dressing himself and could count to 10. He did not yet have letter or number identification. Now he can write his name, along with about 10 other short words, he recognizes all his capital letters and about half of the lower case. He recognizes all numbers 1-10 and can count to 50. He is able to draw people, animals, houses, and all his shapes etc. He has the ability to dress himself but is lazy and often wont. He's known his colors since he was about 2. He's also beginning to read. I know typically developmentally by 4 children should know their colors and shapes, have a basic ability to dress themselves and start to recognize familiar capital letters. (The one's in their name and capitals come long before lower case)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My daughter would be 5 in march but last year, she knew her name middle and last, knows how to spell all three of them. knows all alphabet letters and shapes, colors, can count up to 40 and write her numbers up to 20. She tries to start to spell two letter words. She can fully dress herself and get her own snacks and water
    beenie21

Answer by beenie21 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• My twins are four and a half and they know alphabet - recognize letters and can do some writting mostly their name, can count to 20 without help and recognize numbers, know colors and shapes.
    I was actually surprise when I had them go through a preschool screening last fall that they tested in most areas as 5 and 6 year olds.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• My son just turn 4 years old in December. He can say and recognize all his alphabets, and his numbers he can count up to ten in English and in Spanish and he knows the numbers when he sees them... He knows all his colors and shapes and can say his colors in Spanish too. My son Juan can dress himself but like so many other 4 year old he gets lazy and rather have mommy do it. an also know his date of birth the month and day anyway, and he knows his address.
    blessedmom74

Answer by blessedmom74 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2011