Do you dislike that people can't mention god in public events?

Why is it a big deal to some people?

Nancygray2

Asked by Nancygray2 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes most definitely... I think its crazy how some people can tolerate hearing every curse word known to man & all kinds of other filthy language but when God comes up their offended! Totally confusing.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 10:32 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• He actually stated exactly why it's a personal foul in the first sentence and the reasoning has nothing to do with religion. A rule instituted in 2006 prohibits NFL players from celebrating in the end zone by "going to the ground to celebrate a touchdown or using the ball as a prop." The instant Johnson fell to his knees he violated the rule. After he did that, Johnson could have read scripture, done a silent prayer or helped an old lady across the street and it wouldn't have mattered. (And, incidentally, it looks a lot more like Johnson is asking the heavens to praise him, rather than the other way around.)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• The day I can openly express my atheism without ridicule will be the day I don't get offended by being preached at by believers.

It goes both ways you know...people want to discuss god and pray in public and whatever else, AND be completely tolerated-yet they don't want to hear a word from atheists. We are supposed to sit down and shut up....sorry it doesn't work that way. EQUALITY for ALL.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• NOTpanicking, seems like you have huge problem with a simple question. No need to get cranky about it, I knew the point you were getting to in the first question you asked. So thank you for proveing my point.

Proving what point - that you can mention god wherever and whenever you want? My problem with a "simple question" is when people try to pass off a blatant lie as fact - in this case the ridiculous lie that you aren't allowed to mention your faith. I'm pretty sure lying is against the rules of most religions, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I think it's less about not talking about God, and more about being free from those who have the need to proselytize all the time. There is a fine line, and many people would cross it if given the opportunity. Our gov't is not supposed to establish or endorse one particular religion, so many places both public and private choose to step away from that line so that none will cross into the proselytize zone. You can talk about God until you're blue in the face, but don't expect or demand that other people listen to you or believe the same way you do. You cannot please all the people all of the time. Christian prayer at public events is rude to those who are not Christian. If you pray to God at these events, then you should also offer prayers to all other gods/goddesses, etc as well. That would be time consuming and so it's best to just leave it out of such events.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• "I hear yor point, but our currency is prt of he goverment and at the top of the piramid it states "IN GOD WE TRUST" So this government is screwed up or changing drastically."

lol, I don't think that was even added until the Red Scare, for political reasons, not religious. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i dont know why some ppl think they cant mention God in public...i could go anywhere i wanted right now and praise God and nothing would happen...well i might get some eye rolls. football players can praise God all they want on the field SO LONG AS they dont get on both knees. watch the games tonight and you will see several players praise God after a touchdown by getting on one knee or pointing to the sky. and our govt didnt put "in God we trust" on our money till 1865 when a law had to be passed to allow it on coins and it didnt become our motto till the red scare in the 1956. im sure the founding fathers would have no problem w/ the country establishing God on the money & our motto...oh wait, they would.

you can talk about God in whatever capacity you want...just dont expect others to sit around & listen.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Where exactly are people being thrown out or arrested for saying the word "god"?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Link for that wouldn't fit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Raiders-cornerback-thinks-he-was-flagged-because?urn=nfl-194364

The point is, that had NOTHING to do with religion and everything to do with the ban on endzone theatrics

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011