is preschool necessary or can she go straight to kindergarten?

i was just thinking about this the other day. i mean i am no where near that point but is preschool really necessary prerequite. i mean she is in daycare i can just keep her in daycare setting and then just send her to kindergarten when she is 5 right. its not the law right? just curious.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in

• Yep you're right, she can go right to Kindergarden.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No, you don't have to. But also know there is pre-k in some schools. And that isn't paid for like preschool. Many people just can't afford to send their children to preschool, but pre-k is a good idea because kids can get used to school before having to go full time!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• the pre K in my county is full, so none of my kids got to go unless I pay huge amounts of money for private Pre K. It annoys me that my kids don't get it, simply because they have no room. Luckily my kids are bright so I think they'll be okay when they start kindergarten.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• You don't have to send her to preschool. The only reason my oldest went to daycare was because I was having my 3rd child and was going to be staying home and he wasn't going to be in day care anymore. I do think it helps the kids and it is a good experience, although not a required one.

All 3 of my children went to preschool and loved it, although as I said before I am a SAHM so it was great for socialization.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Pre-school is not a law...technically kindergarten is not mandatory in some places. BUT if there is not some form of learning going on at her daycare, kindergarten will be harder for her. Most 4 year old preschools focus on getting them ready for kindergarten, making them more independent, teaching them the basics they need to know before moving up, etc.. my son came out of preschool reading and writing. I know that's not typical of all children, but it did help a lot when he got to kindergarten.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• She doesn't have to do preschool, but it gives your little one a good idea what she'll be doing in the next year and years to come. Also helps her to adapt around a large number of kids and gets her little brain up and running prepared a little for kindergarten!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Many daycares are pretty much the same as a preschool. Work with her at home- read to her, write her name, counting- and she'll be fine!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• No she doesn't have to go to preschool. I don't think anyone should be forced to put their children in preschool, but the reason why it is kind of pushed is because children do most of their cognitive development before age 5, so they say that kids do better when they are put in preschool at age 3. This is one of the reasons why affluent kids are at an advantage in school because their parents can afford preschool when poorer people can not, which is totally unfair.

Anonymous

• You don't have too. But I send my daughter to preschool this is her second year she is going to turn 5 in march and she loves it so much. She has learned so much. I think that its good for them so that children can learn social and educational skills. Also helps the kids to learn that its okay to be away from their parents and be able to trust their teachers. I know that it would be a easy transition for my daughter when she goes to kinder and it wont be hard for her. She has a structure daily routine at school so she would adjust to kinder well.
    beenie21

Answer by beenie21 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• she is already around alot of children and she does learn alot at the daycare already but i might be moving right after she is 3yrs old so i might not have a choice to put her in a preschool setting but i was just curious if i decided not to if its really necessary. i guess if its offered at the public school then maybe it would be a good idea. it depends on where i settle.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011