Fetal Fibronectin tests?`

I am 32 weeks, had these tests done like every two weeks since I was 24 weeks pregnant. I have had contractions and all the great stuff with pregnancy, but i am still worried about having my son early. they tell me that the tests come back negative and im fine and that my contractions are BH. Question is.... does the Ffn test cover if your water breaks or is it only checking to make sure you dont dialate??? Just a curious new mom to a little boy. I already have a 2 year old DD and my pregnancy was completly different... Any opinios oranyone who knows what i am talking about would be amazing!!!! Thank you :)

Bratch1707

Asked by Bratch1707 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus.

Fetal fibronectin is often present in cervical secretions during early pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also shows up later in pregnancy, about one to three weeks before labor begins. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she may test a swab from your cervical canal for the presence of fetal fibronectin. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• PROM premature rupture of membranes does not mean labor there are many women who have this for weeks before delivery of a healthy baby so i wouldn't worry about that if I were you. WHy are they doing ffn tests on you?
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Ik that it covers the dilation part, but does it cover water breaking? I was reading up on it and it only stated about the cervix.
    I had to have the Ffn test because I keep having contractions that register on the moniters as "real" ones opposed to the spikey uterine irritation ones. :/
    Bratch1707

Comment by Bratch1707 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2011