Women in combat roles, advisory panel set to recommend policy barring it be oberturned, thoughts?

WASHINGTON -- A high-level military advisory panel is set to recommend that the armed services overturn its policy barring women from serving in combat roles, a step that would remove a key structural barrier for women trying to advance their military careers.

Women currently make up 14.6 percent of the active-duty military. Since 2001, 137 female service members have been killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since 1994, women have been barred from serving in units at the level of battalion and below that engage in direct ground combat.

A draft report by the Military Leadership Diversity Commission, a group established by Congress in 2009, concludes that the current policy is outdated and discriminatory. Commissioners include 24 senior retired and active-duty members of the military, in addition to leaders in the business community and academia.

"The Commission recommends that DoD and Services remove a structural barrier for women," reads the report, which commissioners met to review Thursday and Friday. "The current DoD and Service policies barring women from direct ground combat career fields and assignments have been in place since the early 1990s. As previously described, these policies constitute a structural barrier that keeps women from entering the tactical career fields associated with promotion to flag/general officer grades and serving in career enhancing assignments. The Commission

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:45 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm for it. The way I see it, the way we fight wars these days is totally different. Women are being killed in war in not combat roles. Every role has turned into a combat role with all the bombs and high tech equipment these days. If a woman wants to go infantry, more power to her. [Astraea]

I'll second that.

Women in many other countries have combat roles but US women are too "fragile" for combat? You know, one of my favorite movies, even if it is fiction, is GI Jane. If a woman is capable to do the training, the she should be allowed to do it and do what she was trained to do. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I'm for it. The way I see it, the way we fight wars these days is totally different. Women are being killed in war in not combat roles. Every role has turned into a combat role with all the bombs and high tech equipment these days. If a woman wants to go infantry, more power to her.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I am not for this. At all.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Whatever your MOS is in the military, you are always a soldier first so I don't see why women who want to serve in combat roles can't.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Personally, I disagree.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I was in the Military, and I was not allowed to be in a combat area. Now anywhere you go can rupture into a combat zone. Question, what is the difference? Six dead and 14 injured in Arizona proves that as does 911.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• As a female war vet, I have to say woman already do enter combat areas, just maybe not as grunts, tankers and gun bunnies but there are medics, chopper pilots (like I was), pilots, all female and in danger of getting shot at any moment.

I think part of the outdated ruling is that the men might be distracted and want to be protective of the females and possibly jeapardize the mission, but I don't think they would as much if they are trained properly.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• No problems here
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I don't think women should be in "front line" combat positions. As Zoey said...medics, pilots, and similar roles are perfectly fine if one chooses.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• If she can do the job, she should be allowed to do the job. I, for one, always hated be told I 'couldn't' do something because I was female ... made me try harder to prove them wrong.

If the men are well-trained, a properly-trained female in their presence will not distract them from duty.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2011