What would you do in this situation?

I know it's inevitable that things like this will happen, but something really bothered me today.

I took my son to play at our local mall (they have a kids area) and I had some shopping to do after letting him play. He's 15 months old and was so happy to be there. He loves other kids and was just smiling and walking up to them looking so friendly and wanting to play. Three times, two other kids were mean to him while their parents watched! This one little boy, who was about 4, ran twice into my son with his arms out, intentionally pushing him down. Once I said nicely, "Don't push" to the little boy, and the second time I ran over, while the kid was laying on top of my son, and I grabbed him and left. My poor baby just laying there, looking shocked and like his feeling were hurt. Luckily the floor is soft and he didn't get hurt and I was within distance enough to pick him right up. I walked by the kids parents and said, "Well, we have to leave bc that big kid is being mean to you.". I feel like I should have done more, like said something to the parents directly about what their child was doing, but they watched him do it twice and didn't even say anything to him. It wasn't like he did it on accident, the kid ran up to him and shoved him down. It's made me mad all day thinking about it. I know I have to expect it sometimes, but he's a baby and I see so many parents letting their kids be rude to other kids!

What do you do in situations such as this?

And what is wrong with some parents? I'd never sit by and watch my child be mean to another child.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:06 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• And we wonder why we have bullies in school! Parents blantly ignoring bad behavior in there children. I doubt you could have gotten very far saying anything to the parent, probably an argument. You did the right thing, it's just unfortunate that some parents are like this.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I would have done what you did. When the parent is there and doesn't correct the child, its probably just going to cause an argument to say something to them. I'm pretty non-confrontational, unless I'm beyond pissed. But like you I would dwell on it all day lol. Parents like that just really irritate me!
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It's a choose your battle sort of thing. At a place like that, nothing you say or do is going to fix it, and chances are you'd never see them again to know if it did or not, anyway. Where I would step up and say something is if it were happening at a place both children would be regularly (like a local park between your homes or an organized playgroup or daycare).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• They ought to have rules in order for the kids to be safe while playing. If the kids parents aren't watching what they do, then that's neglect. I bet if it was the other way around, the other parent would have had a fit. What do they need, someone to patrol the kids area? What's the world coming to?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:53 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• and this is how a bully is started. parents think its cute or ok for children to act like this. this is also how sociopaths are created! But you know if it was the other way around all holy hell would have broke loose! some ppl should NOT be parents. EVER! testing should be giving to procreate!

JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 8:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Most parents really make me sick when they do that, but hey the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The parents may have been bullies when they were kids too. I mean to sit there and see that and do nothing tells me you're not a good parent.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Our child went up in a climbing structure we visited while traveling. He was in kindergarten-age 5, and when he went way to the tippy top, into a play room up by the ceiling, we could see an older child enter (who was age 8 we found out) and he just started punching our child with no provocation. It was absurd. We were watching him the whole time, and it was a really big structure, very tall and we were at first in shock to see this unfold. It was not crowded. So my husband went climbing up after him. I was yelling up there for this kid to get off my son, so 2 security attendants got involved. One went up another route and grabbed the puncher and dragged him out. My son was absolutely fine,but I was not..for the entire week . It was horrifying. That child was there with grandparents who said nothing to their child or to us, they just took him like it was the most normal thing, he also had a younger sister which was scary.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• I would have picked up my son, and looked directly at the 4 year old and said "I asked you not to push! Do NOT do it again!" Usually, if an adult the child doesn't know gets a harsh tone, it scares them. I know many of you won't condone me scaring a child, but to protect my small child...yes I would. That's not to say I would threaten harm...absolutely not. But like other moms have said, bullies get started this way, and those kids need to know other adults will not tolerate it.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• i would have said something to the parents. their kid was being a bully.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 1:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• I have had a lot of this happen when I try to take my kids to the park.  I always say something to the parents when and if something happens.  Even if it's my own childs fault.  Those parents obviously don't care because they were watching and let their child act like that.  Would saying something to them really have done anything? Probaly not.  You did the right thing and took your own child out of the situation. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2011