Hep B for newborns really so safe?

I'm not into fear-mongering, but as long as the possibility is out there, I think every mother should see this before she agrees to have her newborn given the Hep B shot. (Click the link below)

Ian'sVoice

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2011 in Health

• Thank you for sharing that link, makes me even more determined to be informed on what exactly I'm putting in my children. From their "safer vaccines" page...

"Consider this: Hepatitis B is not airborne. It is contracted through sex, use of drug needles and blood transfusions. Unless you or your baby is involved in any of these, vaccination is not necessary for your child.

Further, the hepatitis B vaccine is made of baker’s yeast. It is the only man made vaccine. The rest are made from the disease itself. Across the board, parenting books tell us yeast is one of the things to avoid for youngsters because of its high allergic reaction rate in children. Thus, the vaccine they give your child contains a known allergen. Children who are allergic to yeast may have a reaction. How do you know if your newborn is allergic to yeast? You don’t. It’s a gamble. You decide: Does the benefit outweigh the risk?"
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Music, your newborn is not sexually active or using dirty needles... his/her chances of contracting hep B are zero unless you yourself have it. Vaccinating newborns for it became routine because doctors and hospitals didn't want to be held liable if the mother DID have hep B and didn't know it, or if a drug addict/homeless woman came in in labor without any prenatal care. It's about limiting how they can be sued, not protecting babies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Why in the world does a baby need a Hep B vaccine? This used to be reserved for health care workers.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• Well but why risk the reactions to the vaccine if the risk of contracting it is zero? That's the whole point here. When the risks outweigh the benefits it's doing harm to vaccinate, which is against the hipocratic oath. Regardless of the motive to vaccinate newborns for hep B, there's no reason to do it. They are no more protected than a child who is vaccinated later, and since the risk of contracting the illness is zero, why risk the reactions? Their immunity can still be established later, when the risk of catching hep B actually exists.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Oh those are so incredibly sad and awful. I didn't do the hep b vaccine. My children aren't iv drug users, nor do they work in a hospital. When they are older, they can get it.
    Anonymous

• Adelicious, I think I just fell in love with you. I thought the same thing lol. Hooray homebirth and not being expsed to other people's cooties!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2011

• Adelicious, that's exactly right. Vaccinate every baby because out of ALL women giving birth, the risk of contracting hep B from mom is higher than the risk of complications from the vaccine. But you can't make decisions for each individual based on sweeping statistics like that, you have to make a tailored health care plan for each mother and baby. If mom is sure that she is not at risk for having contracted hep B then there's no reason to vaccinate. If mom is unsure, offer it, no doubt, but you can't take the risk of reactions with EVERY baby based on the small minority of women who MIGHT be carriers of hep B.

There is risk in everything, but I'm not gonna be injecting risk into my babies for no benefit. I do not have hep B, nor will I contract it. Therefore, we vaccinate for it much later.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2011

• There is always going to be a horror story somewhere for everything in life. You can't live it fear. Not getting it is way worse. HepB is serious.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• What makes you say Hep B is worse? I'm not sure I believe that without knowing the exact statistics on adverse reactions to vaccines versus actual morbidity and mortality statistics to the disease. And you're not going to get that from your doctor, because I'll bet your doctor doesn't know. How is a person NOT vaccinating their kids "living in fear" but vaccinating their kids is NOT "living in fear"? It's not about living in fear. It's about what information you base your decisions on. And unless you have info to back up your statement, I would suspect you might be living in fear!
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• Again, I wouldn't recommend anyone base their decision on this one story, but I think as long as we're being taught to fear Hep B, we should see both sides of the story.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2011